Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2004, 09:24 AM   #1
Linn
Club Member

BOURBON, STRAIGHT

The Uncut and Unfiltered Story of American Whiskey by Charles K. Cowdery is now available at http://cowdery.home.netcom.com/

I've just finished reading my copy and I give it my hearty endorsement! It's a standard paperback size and quality and is self-published by Cowdery.

It's unlike any other book on bourbon in that it is not ment to be a reference work that goes predictably distillery by distillery and bottling by bottling. That has already been done by Gary Regan's Book of Bourbon and also by Jim Murray's Classic Bourbon; Tennesssee, & Rye Whiskey.

Cowdery really knows his bourbon history, and he guides you through many events and the people/families involved with ease. Cowdery's prose has a nice flow, and he is a very compact writer. You'll not get a single word that has no purpose, as opposed to many writters that just go on and on and on. That means that Chuck counts on the reader to be bright enough to do the intellectual unpacking, and ponder the significance thereof. After all you were smart enough to buy his book!

There is a fair amount of debunking many of the myths and folk lore that enshrouds bourbon especially Maker's Mark and Heaven Hill. Yet he is gentle in his truth telling as these folks are after all his friends.

The Beams are everywhere and while it would take most writers a book to tell the story Chuck nails it fourteen pages.

There is a short chapter on how to taste whiskey that is straight forward and of course to the point. His chapter on "Why Ratings Are Bull" should be required reading by whiskey and cigar snobs alike.

On the negative side are two minor items: 1) This is a five dollar paperback that costs $25. Folks he needs to make his money back so be kind. and 2) there isn't a single photograph. Chuck is a fairly good amature photographer but to keep costs down his photos were put on hold.

Chuck Cowdery is a freelance whiskey writer that has been published by both Malt Advocate and Whisky magazine. He also publishes a small newsletter called The Bourbon Country Reader. He also produced a documentary on bourbon for public television. Not only that he's a hell of a good guy and he really knows his shit!

- Linn -
Linn is offline   Reply With Quote