Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Poll: Van halen: better with david lee roth, or with sammy hagar?
Poll Options
Van halen: better with david lee roth, or with sammy hagar?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

how about van halen?

What did you like best? early, with david lee roth, later, with sammy hagar, or after, again with DLR?

I never gave a damn about dlr, but they put out some good stuff with him. I think that the work they did with sammy hagar was great, taken on its own merit.

I can't really say if I ever heard anything after they hired dlr back.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Early Roth. When Hagar came on board, they went commercial.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 AM   #3
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

Seeing's how my nick (half of it anyway) is inspired by VH, I figured I'd better at least give an opinion.... I like both of them. Dave had his good and bad points, Sammy had his. But, for damn sure, Eddie never PLAYED better than he played from 1977-1984. I was only 14 in 1984, so I didn't have a chance to see them live in that era, but I did see them three times with Sammy, 1988,1991, and 1994. Each time they got worse, band-wise. In '94 Eddie was downright sloppy, like he didn't care if he hit the notes right or not.

In its current lineup, I couldn't tell you. I wont be going to any of their shows, partly because I ain't made of gold, and partly because Mike Anthony isn't there. Mike was a HUGE part of VH's vocal sound. If I went I'd make a sign that said "WHERES MICHAEL ANTHONY?"
Old 07-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #4
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

I don't know about going commercial, but they did change when they went with sammy hagar, and apparently, the band thought that they had changed for the worse. I liked hagars vocals, and the songs were change from the typical VH stuff.

I really think of them as two different bands. I sure don't disagree on the energy and power that the early vh had, and like some of the early stuff too.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
Bass man
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie5150 View Post
Seeing's how my nick (half of it anyway) is inspired by VH, I figured I'd better at least give an opinion.... I like both of them. Dave had his good and bad points, Sammy had his. But, for damn sure, Eddie never PLAYED better than he played from 1977-1984. I was only 14 in 1984, so I didn't have a chance to see them live in that era, but I did see them three times with Sammy, 1988,1991, and 1994. Each time they got worse, band-wise. In '94 Eddie was downright sloppy, like he didn't care if he hit the notes right or not.

In its current lineup, I couldn't tell you. I wont be going to any of their shows, partly because I ain't made of gold, and partly because Mike Anthony isn't there. Mike was a HUGE part of VH's vocal sound. If I went I'd make a sign that said "WHERES MICHAEL ANTHONY?"
Michael Anthony is playing in Sammy Hagar's band. Eddie's sloppy playing in the 90s was probably due to massive alcohol abuse. That catches up to you after a while.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
KatDad
Herf God

I liked the early years with DLR, and having aways been a Sammy Hagar fan, I liked the Van Hagar years as well, although those were separate and distinct from the early years. After that, they fell off rapidly probably due to Eddie's rampant substance abuse.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

Always considered the Van Hagar era more of an "adult" sound--made for people in their late 20s and early 30s, instead of the early stuff which seemed to be made for mid-teens to mid 20s. "Commercial" is a better word for it.

Like both a lot.

But Eddie NEEDS a front-man. Cherone proved that, even in his failure.

Haven't heard the post-Hagar stuff with Roth. (?)

SOME of the Chickenfoot stuff is good. Hard to see them doing a 2nd album, though.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
cigarfan
Herf God

I liked DLR and Hagar, even if Hagar VH was more commercial. I didn't care, I liked the music.

I can appreciate more serious music, less commercial stuff. But there's nothing wrong with lighter fare.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
gui_tarzan
Herf God

All of the above.

Seriously.

I liked Montrose, Sammy on his own, Van Halen w/ DLR, then w/ Sammy, then Sammy on his own again, (Gary Cherone SUCKED as a VH singer but the music was still good), now Chickenfoot w/ Sammy and Mike is a fantastic combination. I love Joe's music and he adds the sparkle to the band. Chad is a solid, solid drummer and I really enjoyed the RHCP. The chemistry between them is awesome because they're not just making great music, they're having fun doing it.

These are guys I'll listen to until I'm unable to listen anymore. I can't say that for too many other groups.

Ah, who am I kidding, I like most musicians for one thing or another.

The four most dangerous words in the US government: "and for other purposes"

I am an AJ Fernandez ho...
gui_tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #10
Poohdvm
Club Member

I liked both DLR and Hagar fronting the band. They were different bands for sure. Intresting note, Van Halen did not have a number 1 charting song with DLR. But DLR solo and Van Halen with Hagar both had #1's.

DLR is a cartoon of himself now. Hagar is still out there working and doing well.