Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2004, 10:16 PM   #1
Cigar-Steve20
Starting Member

My humidor seems to alter the flavor of my cigars...

Even though I've had my humidor for around a year or so,its sat for 3/4 of that un-used and had some older nasty cigars left in there which sat untented to for the while(I didnt know about them). And I just recently got a box of Hamilton house selection double corona's. I pulled out the himdor,let it set out for a few hours to air out(wiped it down inside and out including drawers with clean bottled water on a medium damp wrag),then filled up the humidifier and let it 'season'(?...?)for a week or so,constantly re-filling the humidifier till the gauge finally settled(at about %57-60 humidity). The first two cigars I had tasted good... But now this one has more of a 'woody'(somewhat stale) flavor to it(the first two were only a day or two old,this third one has been sittin in the humi for almost 2 weeks)... I honestly cant say I dig it either... Those hamiltons cost me $60 a box... . I use distilled water to fill the humidifier(although I'm picking up some 'solution' from one of those catologs soon). I know they havent dried out,I re-moisten the humidifier when needed.... They have a great draw,burn even,dont feel dry or crackly or anything like that. Half way through the cigar they get a nasty,bite'ish aftertaste that drives me up a tree!. I followed all directions by the book,dialing in the humi gauge,letting the cedar soak up the needed humidity to balance out so it didnt overwet or dry out the cigars(I forget all these terms... It's been a while since I've been here). I did the garbage bag test to make sure it was sealing up ok and it was. Humidity level's stayed constant... I dont get this... My room is a constant mid 70's(sometimes in the high 70's on hot days).

I'm not exactly happy... Thinking about throwing this humidor away and buying a new one. It's pretty cool I guess,fits about 75-80 cigars,three drawers... Looks pretty cool. I mean... These hamiltons taste like crap now... And the first two I had were great! Is there anyway to save them? I left them in the cello wrappers to. Would it help to throw them back in the box they came in? This cigar seemed to have lost all of the flavores the first two had.

Thanks for any advice,very much appreciated .
Cigar-Steve20 is offline   Reply With Quote