Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:15 AM   #1
mannish
Herf God

Anson & Sam Myers

'Sweet' Sam Myers passed away at his house in Dallas last week - I seem to recall someone on here being a fan of Anson & Sam. Sam played drums on some of the early Howlin Wolf recording but mainly known for his harmonica playing-singing. A very nice man. He also wrote the tune 'Rather See You Sleeping In the ground' that I think EC covered on the Layla album.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
Bluespicker

Damn, that really sucks. I'm a huge Sam Myers fan.....I saw/heard Anson and Sam play in Mankato at the Kato Ballroom....I don't know maybe 8 or 10 years ago. What a show! At that time it took Sam about 10 minutes to get from the edge of the stage to stage front. I'm not exagerating. He looked like he was ready to fall over but he finally put his drink down and preceded to tear the joint up! In between sets I bought their newest CD and Anson was signing. Sam was there too but he couldn't see to sign. But I shook his hand and thanked him for coming to Mankato. Pretty cool. He was great....singing and playing the harp and really charming the crowd. Of course at the time we had no idea Sam was basically blind...once he got settlled in hit this his stride and wowed the crowd.

Rest in peace Sam.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
Bluespicker

This is a great article about Sam Myers.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...c/4055065.html
Old 07-22-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
mannish
Herf God

Yeah Sam was blind and never in a hurry.

He always a getlemen at ALL times - He wasn't called Sweet Sam for nuttin

Anson being a genlteman at all times made it the perfect fit.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

He lived in Jackson quite a long time before he moved to Dallas, and played here quite often with Anson and the Rockets. Always a good show.

He always wore a bandoleer for his harps and a dark suit that always had cigarette ash all over the front of it. And those coke-bottle glasses.

Couldn't believe when I heard on the radio, but they played a lot of his songs that afternoon. A distinctive voice.

"Another blues legend gone Home......."
Old 07-24-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
mannish
Herf God

also Jessie Mae Hemphill passed -I think she was referred to as the Shewolf. Last record I know of was with Richard Johnston - She was on the Richard Johnston PBS special sweet old lady. She was very good and an important figure in blues.

Gonna miss Sweet Sam never met Jessie Mae but you could tell she was a sweetheart.

She sang a song on Richard Jonstons CD that she sings to her cats - excellent CD.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:17 AM   #7
Catdeddy
Herf Meister

When did Miss Jessie go?
Old 07-25-2006, 10:38 AM   #8
Bluespicker

Jessie Mae Hemphill, 71, Blues Musician, Dies

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 25, 2006
MEMPHIS, July 24 (AP) — Jessie Mae Hemphill, whose award-winning blues career lasted decades and was heavily influenced by her upbringing in rural Mississippi, died here on Saturday. She was 71.

The cause was complications of an infection that may have resulted from an ulcer, according to Olga Wilhelmine Mathus, the founder and president of the Jessie Mae Hemphill Foundation.

Ms. Hemphill began playing guitar at age 7 or 8, and later moved on to other instruments.

She lived in Memphis for 20 years and played the clubs on the city’s famous Beale Street before finding an international audience.

Ms. Hemphill won the W. C. Handy Award for best traditional female blues artist in both 1987 and 1988. In 1991 she won the Handy Award for best acoustic album.

In 1993, Ms. Hemphill had a stroke that paralyzed her left side, leaving her unable to play guitar. She retired from touring and returned to Senatobia, Miss., where she lived with her dog, Sweet Pea.

She recorded one final album a decade later, titled “Dare You to Do It Again.”
Old 07-25-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
mannish
Herf God

even though she had a stroke & did not play guitar anymore she played a tamborine with her foot - did a dang good job with it