Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-18-2004, 07:08 AM   #1
moki
Club Member

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Untold Story Maduro review

picture: http://people.ambrosiasw.com/~andrew...ld_story_m.jpg

This Arturo Fuente Hemingway Untold Story Maduro is a large cigar. Dauntingly large. This-could-be-a-dildo-if-it-was-thicker large. It's also wonderfully wrapped in a nice rich maduro wrapper that's perfectly constructed, and tapers down to an easily light-able nib that I love oh so much.

I was stuck at home, waiting for a package to be delivered, and also being in a car accident yesterday, without transportation. So I made myself a nice cappuccino, pulled up a chair, and sparked this bad boy up. It lit evenly and quickly... first puff is always a little tentative, because you don't know if you're in for heaven or hell when a cigar is new to you.

Ahhhh... very nice. This is one impressive cigar. It's confident; it doesn't need to hit you over the head with its remarkable flavors. I admit, I was worried that with a cigar this size, it'd be hard to get down, but wow. I'm utterly impressed. What's more, this cigar *knows* it is good. Nothing is rushed or forced on you, but rather you're rewarded each draw with a complex melody of flavors.

And what flavors they are. It's like a cup of Turkish coffee, with delicious burnt coffee undertones, and a sweet, nutty aftertaste. Throw in a dash of carmel, and a hint of thigh-rubbed Moroccan cardamom that's been hand-picked by vestal virgins wearing nothing but their veils. Ahem. Sorry... but you get the idea.

This Untold Story uses metaphor and allusion to tell its story. About halfway through (45 minutes), it started revealing hints of spice... just enough to pique your interest, and tease you into another puff. It burned straight and true, with a grey-ish colored ash. To my surprise, it was an easy draw from the start, despite being a rather large smoke.

This cigar presents a problem for me. I really, really like it. If I had a choice between this an a Padrón 1964 (or even 1926) Maduro, it'd be a crap-shoot; the one I'd pick would depend entirely on my mood. Why is this a problem?

It's a problem because this cigar is released only once a year, and thus is incredibly hard to get and expensive. My suggestion to you is that you do whatever it takes to try one of these smokes at least once. Yum.
moki is offline   Reply With Quote