Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

HVC Edicion Especial 2015 Maduro Toro

All I know about this brand is that HVC stands for Havana City. I figure with 3 years of age on these they should be about as good as they will get.
This is a good looking cigar. It is straight and cylindrical and it is rolled tight with no give. Being a dark cigar, I expected the foot to have an earthy aroma. It had a light toasty tobacco smell. The wrapper is smooth and substantial. Probably broad leaf and I expected it would hold up without cracking or coming apart. It did not disappoint. I cut the cap and the draw was nice and open.
As usual, I lit the foot with a match. The initial flavors were just strong tobacco with a slight ammonia aftertaste. It wasn't bad, but I wasn't impressed. The ammonia faded by the second half and I picked up a slight cocoa flavor. That was about it in the flavor department. The burn was perfectly straight and the ash held on for about 2 inches each time before I knocked it off. The cigar was firm in my mouth and never got soft or mushy.
The construction was top notch. The cigar just never developed the depth of flavor I was hoping for. Still, I'd say it's a good cigar. I'm giving it a 3.5 out of 5.

Epilogue: A search shows this cigar as being Nicaraguan with a Mexican San Andres Wrapper. I read a review where the taste I described as ammonia was described as sour chalk. Not really something you want in any case. But he also said it faded. He rated it an 87. So I'd say we agree.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote