Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 11-14-2022, 01:35 PM   #1
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

2010 Arturo Fuente Hemingway Work of Art Maduro

2010 Arturo Fuente Hemingway Work of Art Maduro

Specifications:

Year of Manufacture/Box Codes: 2010

Country of Origin: Dominican Republic

Wrapper Color: Maduro

Wrapper type: Cameroon

Filler: Dominican Republic

Binder: Dominican Republic

Vitola: Perfecto (4.875x56)

Manufacturer: Tabacalera A. Fuente y Cia.

Factory: Santiago, Dominican Republic

Humidimeter Reading: 64%

Environment:

Temperature: 30 degrees

Humidity: 69%

Wind: N/A (25mph)

Setting: My usual spot in the smoke shack with my nice, comfortable, new, personal seat cushion my sister got me as an early Christmas present as I noticed it was on sale for half off and told her.

Paired with: Iced coffee

From a 2010 Cigar Aficionado review, it scored 88 with the tasting notes of: “A near-black perfecto with a firm draw and uneven burn, but interesting flavor profile of wine, spices and pine”

12 years later…

A rough, slightly veiny, near black wrapper with very visible seams, a rough head/long cap.

A hard bunch, very easy cold draw with a very light floral taste.
Overall, only slightly attractive.

A slightly uneven burn, typical, mottled white ash, medium conical coal and an easy draw.

Ample smoke volume and a strong, fragrant aroma of herbal, woody and floral notes.

Generous richness, smooth, generous body, and perfectly balanced, generous herbal, woody and floral flavors with a very light spiciness and a medium finish/aftertaste of herbal, woody and floral flavors and again a very light spiciness and light burn on the tongue.

Overall a good smoke, with a final score of 84 out of 100.

Taste was great and wasn’t dulled by 12 years at all. If I hadn’t known the date, I would have assumed it was recent production.

Not the most attractive wrapper aside from the tasty looking blackness of it.
Also the most fragrant cigar I have smoked in quite a while.

Typically I don’t smell my cigars at all, and even retrohaling I typically barely taste anything, but this one I could easily smell even before retrohaling.

Yet another good, interesting smoke from Bruce @Ljutic

I friggin love cigars

Last edited by smbauerllc; 11-14-2022 at 02:32 PM.
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 03:52 AM   #2
Ljutic

Great review Sean, but I don't think that one was from me. It doesn't appear on my copy of the notes sheet that went out with the cigars.
Ljutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 04:51 AM   #3
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
Great review Sean, but I don't think that one was from me. It doesn't appear on my copy of the notes sheet that went out with the cigars.
Huh, well thats perplexing.

I've kept everything you sent in its own tupperdor since i got them, or so i thought at least.

Wonder if i somehow stuck an oddball in there simply because it was a well aged nc as well.

No idea how i got a date for it, as typically I have no real idea from a generous gifter beyond them saying "its at least x years old as best i can recall", so the rough age range is typically in the notes of my humidor app and i pick the middle of the range as the specific date.

Oh well, snuck through the cracks somehow, probably at my end, as you sent pretty meticulous notes with yours.

Still worthy of a review anyway really at least, imho.

Sorry about calling you to someone else's review, lol

I do have a suspicion of where i would have gotten such a well aged Hemingway- Kevin Gill (CFL) from CF that I'm sure you remember well, and although he typically gives me some nicely aged Fuentes and Newmans on occasion, he never knows more than a very rough, possible age, with anything from his stash, and i typically put his name in my app notes, and this entry has nothing. Weird.

If you enjoy them young, then you'll enjoy your 2009's

Like i mentioned, if someone hadn't told me the age, i would have definitely assumed it was recent production. Very full of richness, body and flavor still for sure, and unusually aromatic. It got a perfect score in the taste and aroma sections, which are the only places it didn't lose at least a few points for one reason or another.

I wouldn't be surprised if these could go another 12 years and still not have mellowed too much or be passed their prime.

If anything, they could use another 10 years to mellow them out and see how the fainter flavors that are currently overpowered come to the surface more as the stronger current flavors tone down some.

I friggin love cigars
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote