Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Lighting up - closed foot / shaggy foot cigars?

Questions about toasting the foot / how to light cigars are common.
One of our members - pistol cliff (also a twitter follower) asked, on Cigar Guys Radio show last saturday about perfectos, closed foot, shaggy foot cigars - do you toast those too?

We ran out of time on the show, and the questions is one that has about as many answers as there are smokers! Well, maybe not that many...

Personally, I like to toast the foot - I'll do a pre-light draw or two on the cigar, then twiddle away with my torch lighter, round and round the foot foot of the cigar until the whole thing is glowing. This gives me the best chance at a very even burn, and a great full "draw" when i start smoking.

Now, that's me. I've been enjoying cigars regularly for 8 or 9 years, I guess... so I took the question to the experts! I asked Jose Blanco and his wife Emma the same question, and here is how they replied:

Emma wrote:

Hi!

My see on this:

- I light to toast the foot a bit... Not because it is THAT necessary... I often see in factories and that many just go ahead and light it up... and some toast.... However, toasting is good for a even burn and nice even light up once you start.

- Closed foot cigars: to be honest, I canīt recall smoking one entirely closed: I have seen one that was intended to start on either end - which makes NO sense, because the tip of the filler-leaves have to be places at the head of the cigar for good construction, burn, balance... everything! A "fun marketing-thing" by some company.... Yet a classic closed foot has to be opened anyway and I would give that the same answer as my previous one.

- Partially closed foot - in this case I feel toasting is great for a slow and soft kick-off and an even burn (bascially the same as my first answer for a classic cigar but even more so).

- Shaggy foot: this is subjective to me: I like shaggy foot cigars a lot, and in my personal case I donīt toast those because they kick off! And I want to feel that kick off in my mouth!

- Later on during the smoke... It is usual for a cigar to go out once in a while... especially with me because I smoke slowly and also I tend to talk a lot with my hands and arms and my cigars get a lot of breeze (lol)... In those case I always try to relight the cigar only by toasting it and then start to puff... and sometimes (if I have been talking actively for too long) I have to relight it completely.

Note about the latter: relighting or re-toasting - most smokers complain about this and blame the cigar (instead of as me blaming themselves or admitting to a habit..), yet I have also heard some real cigar-passionates talking about that as part of the pleasure, to play with the cigar... re-toasting, relighting if necessary... all that as part of the experience and they enjoy they hands playing with their cigars...

Final note to ALL of the above: I think that toasting is good for an even burn, a nice and smooth lighting up once the smoker want to start, and a pleasure to do... and feel some aromas from the smoker before smoking...

That's my take.

Jose. yours?

Are you guys happy with my answer, my take?

A pleasure always
Emma

Jose did chime in as well:

Hi Guys,

Have to agree on all the things Emma wrote, I personally not a big fan of closed foot cigars, think it's a bit inconvenient for smokers but some people like them.

End of the day some people will struggle and others will not lol
Thanks to Jose and Emma for adding their thoughts and opinions!
Forums are great! DISCUSS!
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote