Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-26-2003, 08:07 AM   #5
prflani
Herf Meister

I disagree completely with the idea that the Climmax media is not for wood humidors...The Climmax media beads work great for me in my wood humidors. I use about 75 to 100 grams in a homemade cloth tubular bag for each 50-75 count humidor. This is quite a bit more media per storage volume than is needed in cooleradors and tupperadors (or Rubbermaidadors as in my case). The cloth bags and tubular shape allow moisture to pass freely in and out of the media. If you're dealing strictly with humidity that is too high, then dry the media (200 F oven for about two hours or use a hairdryer) and decrease or eliminate the addition of water before using. This happens to me sometimes in the early or late summer when the a/c is off and the windows are open...I find that I have to maintain the media in my wood humidors about once a month or every other month. It depends on the ambient humidity outside of the humidor. If ambient humidity is higher or lower than my target 65%RH for an extended period of time, then you'll either have to dry the media or add water. In my case, either the a/c or the furnace are usually on, so my ambient humidity is typically low and I have to occasionally add water to my media. I have four wood humis and there is some difference between them in the frequency of media maintenance. This is largely due to variation in the box's seals.

As to your question about using the Cigar Oasis in conjunction with Climmax beads...if you put the two together in the same container/humidor, the CigarOasis will basically never need to run. This negates the benefit of the fan that mixes the air. Also, if you use the CigarOasis by itself with distilled water, there is no mechanism for removal of water when ambient humidity is high. PG solution in the CigarOasis or an adsorbent media are you're only options. Remember if you're mostly removing water from the air, media needs to be dried periodically or PG solutions needs to be replaced because they get diluted with adsorbed water (in this case it can help to start with a richer PG solution like 75/25).

In a larger humidor I would divide up the media into four tubular cloth bags and place them top left, top right, bottom left, and bottom right and throw that CigarOasis away. I hate messing with PG solutions - not only are they messy but you never know what the real water content is after the solutions have either adsorbed or given off water while in use. Anyway... either media or PG solutions should give relatively stable humidity for some period of time. When the RH gets higher or lower than you're comfortable with, then it's time to maintain your humidity control system, whatever it is.
prflani is offline   Reply With Quote