Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 07-31-2002, 10:08 PM   #1
jojoscigars
Club Member

like your input on this one guys and girls

as i reply to post and see other replys or people looking for cigars every one seems to like the 1st release of a cigars ..
also the cigar is mush better the first time out.... why is this .
do they use a different mix in the first release to lure smokes to the line then cheapen up on it to save money .
as with my last post reply on the vsg's the boxes i bought when they first hit the market the rappers are very dark and leather looking .ones i see now are a lighter brown in color .
has anyone else seen this in other lines ..

why does this happen
we have all seen it in the release of the anejo most everyone likes the 1st better then the 2nd or 3rd .

get me two cents ....
Old 07-31-2002, 10:33 PM   #2
Dr. X

Very good question. The VSG's from the first release, in my opinion, are a different smoke. Besides the box press issue, I am not sure if the blend is different, but from what I can tell the wrapper is. I have seen quite a bit of variation in wrapper color in subsequent VSG releases. I have some now that are very dark, and others that are substantially lighter. There might have been some changes from the first release as the wrapper might have had more age on them.

The Anejos are another story. I forget the details, but the original release Anejos had a wrapper that had a limited supply. It had been aged for a period of time, and the story is something along the lines of aged in cognac barrels. The future release Anejos had a different blend and certainly the wrapper did not have as much age to it.

Adding to this is the fact that the original release Anejos now have even more age to them as they have been out for quite a while.

Dr. X
Dr. X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:46 PM   #3
Mowee
Contributing Editor
Club Member

I don't think it is a question of bait and switch so much as the first releases are usually the best quality and the best blends. As they go into full production, the tobacco quality may not be the same--there are variations in bale to bale. And when you go into production, you are trying to increase the volume from the initial run and sometimes quality can lessen a bit.
Generally the pre release and first runs are the best.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:51 PM   #4
chibacity
Starting Member

I think you're right about using a better mix for the initial release. Just look at the PEGCCs. I bought a box when they were released and they were really good. I'm about 1/2 way through a new box (with the new bands), and there is no comparison. They're not bad, they're just nowhere near as good as they were before.
chibacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 12:25 AM   #5
HBooker
Club Member

I certainly am no expert but I would say it has to do with production and availble tobacco to make them.
If they waited to get the "first release" blend and wrapper for every batch well, it is my opinion that all smokes would be as pricey as an opus.

Raising teenagers is like nailing Jell-O to a Tree
HBooker is offline   Reply With Quote