Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-27-2004, 08:56 AM   #12
qajariaq
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Hinges: the type of hinges you will want to use depend on the door and how it will mount to the case. Take a look at http://www.woodworker.com and view all their hinges - most have a good diagram of how they work and what type of door they work with. I used solid brass butt hinges on my humidor but I have seen a lot of cabinets with European-style hinges. Also, check out http://www.arlinliss.com and you'll be able to see details of hinges as well as door seals along with some beautiful humidors!

Sealing: I am using a soft foam weather strip type seal on my cabinet as matching the door up to the liner was going to be rather difficult with the machines I had at hand. I think that some cabinets may use felt but most will use the weather strip type material. Some hinges are self-closing but I like some other type of closing mechanism. Locks, catches, and magnetic catches are some possibilities.

As for a CAD program goes, I actually prefer to do one-off designs on paper especially if I know that I will be tweaking things during the building phase. Remember, CAD is only a recently developed tool, and many craftsmen and designers worked with pencil and paper producing incredible stuff. Unless you are already familliar with CAD programs, you'll be pulling your hair out trying to learn the program and design at the same time. Having said that, TurboCAD is a fairly inexpensive CAD program that should be available at office supply chains and possibly BestBuy, etc. Also, Rhinoceros is a powerful and versatile 3d CAD program that you can download for free (full capabilities but limited number of saves) that I use both for my own designs as well as at work.
qajariaq is offline   Reply With Quote