Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2004, 10:53 AM   #7
althekillr
Club Member

Quote:
Interesting, the humidity in my 'dor stays at almost a perfect 65-67%. When the compressor kicks on it drops way down
for me way down meant 50-51%.

thats exactly what was happeneing with mine, but I put a sensor inside the box to measure how my gars were being affected. They were dropping almost in sync with the outside humidity, trailing by a couple %points. in the summer the compressor was kicking on every hour or hour and a half (i don't have a basement), so I was just thinking that the gars humidity fluctuating from 66%-50% about 20 times a day, would not be good, especially on some of the stuff I meant to keep long term. After tons of experiments, and help from Moondoggie, I just came to the conclusion that ther eis no way to control the humidity from fluctuating when the compressor kicks on.

I did try it with it full of boxes, and got pretty much the same results.

The reason I put the piece of insualtion on the back, was when the compressor kicked on, the cold plate got cold so fast, that there was a ton of condensation, and subsequently pooling water. The insulation helped the exposed surface not be as cold, so there was less water pooling at the back for me. maybe other fridges were built different so this wouldn't apply.

Jason, I had mine like yours unplugged for a while and held 66% perfectly. But as temps here in Cali started getting over the 100's, and my fridge temps started getting near 85 degrees, I had to do something. I'll try and take some pics for you. I have two fans that come one when the compressor kicks on, and I was thinking of plugging in one more fan that comes on every half hour, just to even out the humidity when the compressor doesn't kick on.

In the winter time I probably will unplug it, and take everything out of the plastic bags.

I think in the future, i'm gonna try and put both fridges I have into a wood closet I have, and put a $100 window air conditioning unit to cool the inside of that closet. That way it will keep the air inside the closet cold, without directly cooling the inside of fridge, which is where i get all the humidity fluctuations from. The ideal thing for this would be to attach the thermostat for the window AC unit inside the fridge. Who knows if this will work,

This is kind of fun, I feel a bit like Thomas Edison here.
althekillr is offline   Reply With Quote