Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
tomhooper
Starting Member

And yet another newbie storage question.

Sorry to be so inexperienced but I need to ask. I have purchased several sample packs. In a couple of the recent packs I received some cigars that were not in celophane sleeves. How do I store these in the humidor. Should I order some empty tubes or just lay them out? That brings up another question. If they can be stored "naked", should I remove the celophane from all of my cigars? Would also like some input on tubed cigars. In the tube, out, cap on, or cap off. Appreciate the patience.
tomhooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Naked is just fine, so is cello: it's a personal preference thing. My approach is simple: if it comes with cello, leave the cello on. If it comes naked, leave it naked.

I leave the caps on my tubed cigars because I'm in the "oxygen is not your cigars' friend" camp.

Opinions vary. Those are mine.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #3
SmoKerch
Herf God

My opinions mirror Mad Dawg's.

Why create extra work by removing/adding cello?

Relax, keep cigars in stable environment, all will be well.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Kilobyte
Herf Meister

Less is more with cigars (and most other things) so relax and just enjoy. Trial and error will be your best teacher.

Kilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #5
KatDad
Herf God

What all three of those guys said.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
tomhooper
Starting Member

Thank you much. Gotta get ready for the Cotton Bowl now.

Baby back ribs been cooking all day (175-200 degrees)
Dos Equis beer
Probably a Montecristo Platinum Vintage 1999

Gig'em
tomhooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #7
kakestick
Starting Member

I am a newbie, but the advice given to me was to leave them the way them come. I was also told to not put two nakeds next to each other and put a stick in celo between them.
kakestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:55 AM   #8
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakestick View Post
I am a newbie, but the advice given to me was to leave them the way them come. I was also told to not put two nakeds next to each other and put a stick in celo between them.
That advice may sound reasonable, but there is no technical basis to support it. The cellophane used on cigars is gas permeable. Air, water vapor, and many (all?) of the volatile organic compounds that we perceive as the aromas coming off of cigars all pass through cellophane with ease. If that weren't the case, you would not have to worry about keeping cigars in cello in a humidified environment, nor would you be able to smell them. The idea that cellophane somehow effectively "isolates" cigars from others in the humidor is problematic, at best.

One positive thing that cello does is prevent wrapper damage during routine handling, i.e., when you go rooting around in the humi to locate a specific cigar. You could also make a case that keeping cigars with very pale wrappers (candela, claro) out of physical contact with cigars with very dark wrappers (maduro, oscuro) would prevent oils from the dark wrappers from spotting/staining the pale wrappers, but that's a process that would probably require a long time to become a significant problem.

It should go without saying that, cello or not, you should never store flavored cigars such as Acids in the same humidor as unflavored cigars, nor in any humidor in which you may ever wish to keep unflavored cigars.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
That advice may sound reasonable, but there is no technical basis to support it. The cellophane used on cigars is gas permeable. Air, water vapor, and many (all?) of the volatile organic compounds that we perceive as the aromas coming off of cigars all pass through cellophane with ease. If that weren't the case, you would not have to worry about keeping cigars in cello in a humidified environment, nor would you be able to smell them. The idea that cellophane somehow effectively "isolates" cigars from others in the humidor is problematic, at best.

One positive thing that cello does is prevent wrapper damage during routine handling, i.e., when you go rooting around in the humi to locate a specific cigar. You could also make a case that keeping cigars with very pale wrappers (candela, claro) out of physical contact with cigars with very dark wrappers (maduro, oscuro) would prevent oils from the dark wrappers from spotting/staining the pale wrappers, but that's a process that would probably require a long time to become a significant problem.

It should go without saying that, cello or not, you should never store flavored cigars such as Acids in the same humidor as unflavored cigars, nor in any humidor in which you may ever wish to keep unflavored cigars.
I agree 100% with everything said. Especially the part about flavored cigars. But real men don't have to worry about that, since they don't smoke flavored cigars. But, seriously, store the flavored cigars somewhere else.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #10
SmoKerch
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob G View Post
I agree 100% with everything said. Especially the part about flavored cigars. But real men don't have to worry about that, since they don't smoke flavored cigars. But, seriously, store the flavored cigars somewhere else.
Like in a coffee can, buried in the back yard.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote