Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-15-2002, 11:21 AM   #1
JayMonster

I did this as a blind review on the JRBB, but thought the results were worth sharing here as well since I found them so astounding.

It is a beautiful (if not too hot) morning. Decided by the looks of
this cigar that this might be a good morning cigar to enjoy with some of Mayorga's French Roast right after breakfast.

Appearance - 19/20 - Two weeks in a row we now have had cigars that are absolutely catalog photo quality. This CT Shade wrapped beauty simply looks fantastic.

Construction - 19/20 - Beautifully applied cap, but one hard spot (vein in binder?) runs almost the length of the cigar but in insignificant. If the cigar wasn't so perfect otherwise it wouldn't bear mentioning. Clipping was 'flakeless' and clean. Pre-light draw showed just enough resistance as to not seem like you were drawing air through a straw. Burn was razor sharp from start to finish. Coarse dark grey ash held until knocked away. More than enough smoke to make any smoker happy and any non-smoker unhappy.

Flavor - 47/50 - It is entirely possible that if I smoked this at any
other time of the day that it may have scored a bit lower. But this was a fantastic morning smoke, or even a great afternoon smoke with a light rum. I don't think it would hold up well to a cognac or brandy after a large dinner and I am willing to wager that more than one review will call this, "a good cigar for the MCW". I only disagree in that I think this is a good cigar for EVERYBODY and not just the MCW. The cigar started of extremely mild and straighforward, very reminiscent of a Jamaican Tobacco cigar. It took less than an inch for the flavors to begin to build. A distinct citrus taste developed on the finish. Not one that is overpowering and bitter as is the case in many of the now on closeout Dominicans from the boom years, but one that seems to have been aged out well enough to remove the harshness to make it a pleasant compliment. A slight hint of woodiness (I can't say exactly cedar) developed about half way through and continue to build as the cigar began it's decent towards the nub. If anyone says that this cigar is not complex,then they were too overwhelmed by the fact that it was not knock-you-on-your-butt strong and didn't take the time to notice the subtlties of the cigar, which is ashame. Only at the last inch or so did this cigar seem to get outside itself and start to taste a little 'off'. By that point though, the coffee was done, and I was done with this journey, one that reminded me why I enjoy being in this cigar review club so much.

Enjoyment 8/10 - Why, after waxing poetically over this cigar did I only give it an 8? Mostly because I see the limitations in the cigar. It is not an everyday, every situation cigar. But irregarless it is a good one.

Total - 93/100 - Would I want this in my humidor? Of course I would.
It most likly would not be a regular in my rotation (unless I started
having breakfast on the veranda (if I ever get a veranda) more often.
Mimosas in the morning by the pool, that sort of thing. But on a
leisurely Sunday Morning, when I can get the wife and kid out of the house and have time to myself. I would certainly like to have this available.
(Special Side Note: If this cigar is made by either Manuel Quesada or Augusto Reyes I am gonna have some serious crow to eat... but I am betting it is not).

Fortunately for me, I was right and it was NOT an Augusto Reyes or Matasa product.

- Sacha Guitry
JayMonster is offline   Reply With Quote