Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-10-2004, 06:52 PM   #1
TampaPSD4

Payne-Mason Habana Unos Double Corona Maduro Review

Payne-Mason
Habana Unos Double Corona Maduro
7.5 inches x 50 ring gauge
http://www.paynemason.com/cig/HU_Dou...rona_Madro.gif

Payne-Mason Cigars in their effort to get unbiased comments from a diverse market sampling across the nation before an upcoming National Roll Out of the Habana Unos Brand, came forward and solicited regular everyday cigar lovers to smoke and review a grouping of seven different sized cigars in both Natural and Maduro wrappers. They approached several of the Best On-line Cigar Forums to obtain cigar aficionados that were qualified to relate the qualities, characteristics and appeal of the cigar. Payne-Mason simply asked the select cigar smokers to try and then write a review of the cigar that was distributed randomly among them.

I received my sample cigar, a Habana Unos Double Corona Maduro on June 27, 2004, and immediately placed it in my humidor to stabilize it to my standard of preference. I keep my cigars at a steady 65-68 degrees and 63-65% rh. Upon the samplings arrival, it appeared somewhat over humidified, thus my desire to stabilize it to give this cigar the best opportunity to provide a true example of what it had to offer. After two weeks of rest and proper storage conditions, I smoked this cigar this evening.

The Habana Unos was expertly rolled. It had 2 fairly significant veins in the dark Maduro wrapper that ran down the length of the Double Corona. There were neither soft spots nor signs of over or under fill of tobacco. The Habana Unos was toothy in nature. The cap was nicely done and cut well with my Xikar cutter.

As I toasted the Double Corona, the foot took the torch well and provided an excellent burn to begin this tasting. The first draw was somewhat of a surprise which produced a strong metallic flavor during the first quarter inch or so of the cigar as it began to develop. This taste decreased at this point and other flavors developed. Initially the Habana Unos Double Corona brought forth nice toasted tobacco and muted deep roasted mocha and coffee bean flavors. It began to burn ill-regularly during the first half but corrected itself before the half way point. The strength throughout the cigar was mild to medium flavored. The cigar mellowed out during the middle of the cigar, and built more distinguishable nuances during the second half. The draw was smooth and the volume of smoke filled my mouth each time I brought it to my lips. The Double Corona during the second half was more straight forward tobacco flavors and a subtle sweetness of the Maduro enhanced the mocha and coffee flavors. The cigar was never harsh.

This sample of the Habana Unos Double Corona Maduro was an interesting cigar to smoke as I normally smoke Habanos vs. Non-Cuban Cigars. It was smooth, brought forward nice toasted tobacco, deep roasted coffee bean and mocha flavors. The overall burn was good and the cigar lasted 1.5 hours smoking it to the nub. This is a relaxing cigar to smoke and would be ideal for those that enjoy a mild to medium strength experience. When this cigar is available at a local tobacconist, I would have no problem recommending it to others. I would personally rate this cigar a 4.75 smoke ring rating out of a possible 6 smoke ring grade possibility.

TampsPSD4
(_{@}___}}}~~~
TampaPSD4 is offline   Reply With Quote