Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

IPCPR 2016 Cigar Review: Hoyo la Amistad

Hoyo la Amistad

“Time flies when you’re having fun, “so “they” say. Well, I must have been having lots of fun these last eight days or so, it’s been that long since my last smoke and review. Preparing for this, I am in the process of finding information on this guy, when Guv, my longtime CW friend pops up in my text messages to remind me that the Cigar Weekly Fantasy Football League draft is on. NOW!

I hope I can do this guy justice; it’s a lovely robusto, the fruit of a collaboration from the “in-form” A. J. Fernandez and General Cigar. It is reported to be the strongest offering from the Hoyo de Monterrey marque. This is the Hoyo La Amistad (Friendship.)

The capa from Ecuador is simply gorgeous, lovely, expertly applied with a pretty triple-cap. It engenders expectations of greatness, meanwhile, I’m still fooling with the draft, and looking at this thing up and down. Pre-light, the aroma is sweet with a strong leather character, to my nose. To my son’s nose he catches cedar in the aroma, don’t worry, he doesn’t smoke. Damn draft, holding me up, I want to get outside, and get out there without THREE devices in my hands. Here comes my pick, just as I was about to get up, it’s late-on and I hardly know ANY of these people. The opportunity to be live, online, with some CW Brothers, is enjoyable. We don’t “go live” often enough anymore.

As I clipped, sadly, a bit of the wrapper tore off of the head despite the fact that I was precise in placing the cutter and gentle in clipping. Interestingly, the wrapper also tore at the foot when I put it to the match. It’s an inauspicious beginning which yields a peppery smoke from lips to throat, but with a nod to the initial leather, also.

In searching for information I learn that this cigar is not yet released? I saw September as the release date in a couple articles. The composition of the cigar is as follows: The wrapper is Ecuador, the binder is Nicaragua, and the filler blend contains Estelí, Ometepe, Condega and Jalapa. Everything inside the wrapper is from Nicaragua, where the cigar is also manufactured; four sizes are available.
• Rothschild (4½” x 50)
• Robusto (5” x 54)
• Toro (6” x 50)
• Gigante (6”x 60)
It has taken a few minutes, but the burn line has finally come all the way around and is now corrected nicely to an even sharpness. This thing is so full-bodied I feel as if I’m eating. Ever get that sensation from a cigar? My iced tea is almost no match for it, this is a cigar that asks to be accompanied by Port or sherry (note-to-self.)

Reese, the incontrovertibly incontinent dachshund has joined me, finally, realizing that where I am, and that I’ve been outside for some time. This “meal” of a cigar now adds some coffee flavor to the experience as I get to the first quarter mark. It still burns quite evenly and with a sharp edge. The ash finally fell from the cigar as it hit the first of two bands; I should remove it, right?

Hoyo la Amistad 2
Removing the band, the cigar is, now, not as full-bodied as it had been earlier, it’s now completely pleasant, with a touch of a floral character on the finish. And, Reese is still out on the sidewalk; what gives, dog?

I’m still smoking, late into the night and, I swear, I just felt the temperature drop a little to bearable. Is that coolness? Oh, the door is ajar and it’s the A/C I feel. The cigar is now at the second band, and it’s still a worthy, toothsome smoke. The dog is now doing battle with the coarse welcome mat, giving me an interesting aural accompaniment and comic relief as I relax and write out here. The flavors of the smoke have settled and continue as before with leathery and floral note to it; and, it has not warmed as it approaches completion. This is a “must-try” when it comes out for purchase in September. Go find this.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 08-30-2016 at 11:14 AM.
TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote