Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'Oro No 2 Review

I tried to hold off on this, but it was impossible, so here We are.

Cigar: La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'Oro No 2, Habano.

Size: Published size is 6.8 x 43 the actual size of this particular unit just a touch shorter than that, but the ring is spot on. I don't know the age.

Appearance: My experiences with the LGC's have been predominately good ones. As such, this is a well turned out Cigar. Uniformity is good in both definition and tactile density. Read: it's round and no soft spots. The wrapper has the customary vein puckering, but no visible damage or breaks. These can be ruffled in appearance, but that's just aesthetics. The triple cap is smooth if not uniform in application. As to Color, the Wrapper is a welcoming medium cocoa with just a touch of sheen to it. The bonus is the light covering of Plume across the entire surface.

Pairing: Tito's Texas Vodka. A recent discovery that yields a Clean and Quality experience every time.

Pre Light: The gentle aroma of Cedar drifts off of the surface and bodes well of the upcoming experience. The Clip is a simple and clean affair. The draw is Light to Medium, which is certainly desirable. Often these MDO's can tighten up considerably, so starting here, is much preferred. Charring the foot brings very nice cedar and other woodsy tones.

Combustione: The Light is effortless and it instantly bears positive results. The Twangy Cedar is immediately present with a moderate finish, right off the bat. This is clearly a well aged example of the MDO #2. I have always liked this size cigar, not too large or to small. This is just about perfect, size wise. Big enough to easily develop flavor while delivering a cool burn, but also comfortable in the mouth. Well, this is already an above average smoke. Not even a inch in and the flavor is wonderful and refined, it's certainly not a 'knock You over the head' type of cigar. The cedar and woodsy tones are augmented by the Classic Twang that has my mouth eagerly awaiting the next puff. This is a Classy Cigar. Normally given a choice between the MDO #1 and the #2, I would select the #1, I've just had better luck with them. In fairness I've only had a handful of the #2's. Maybe, I should reconsider that? I am now very interested as to the age of this particular cigar. I'm gonna have to try and find out. Ohhhh, Seaaaan!
All this after only one inch.

There is a elegance about the MDO's. Add the great flavor that I'm finding here and this is a Winner. There is a subtlety here, that You don't often find. Each of the Habano Marcas try to carve out a niche for themselves. Power for the Bolivars, Grassy for the Cohibas and so on. But the LGC Brand Has a touch of this and a touch of that. For such a small number of offerings in their catalog to begin with, I think that's a very good idea.
Years back, a CW Brother sent me a 10 YO Sabrosas. That was a Wonderful cigar. Imagine my dismay when I found out it was discontinued. This hearkens back to that experience. This time however, I have more experience under my smoking belt. I can truly appreciate the subtleties, that I certainly missed before. Nearing the 5" mark and draw has not tightened up or even changed. It's been awhile since I had a Really Good Habano. One never knows how it's gonna go. Even tho this is not the prettiest Cuban cigar, it is the best that I have recently had. Consistent, subtle flavor variations and good manners all contribute to the experience.
The clean nature of the Tito's Vodka also compliment the occasion. No errant flavors contrasting or overpowering the cigar, nice. What a pleasant surprise. I have been eyeballing this cigar ever since Ulster sent it to me. Not a purchase, mind You. Sean teamed up with Pierre, Bobby and Michael (Moyer) to collectively Bomb me back to the Stone Age. Each gave freely of Their hard earned stockpiles and individually Blew Me Away with their Selections and Generosity. So, Our Devious Brother Sean sent this little "Delayed Smoke Mine" in His package. With the full knowledge that I could not resist it for very long and so today BAM!
At the 4" mark, I go ahead and re clip to full diameter and slide the band off. Nary a hint of bitterness, nor touch of sharpness to be found. What a Jewel of a cigar! There are several very faint flavors hinted to around the edges. Not citrus per se, but certainly a fruity vibe. Not sweet, but maybe tart? It's like a scavenger hunt in my mouth. There's a light loam texture and the twang.....cedar and an ever present woody note. But, there's also the tart fruit.....A-Ha! Lemongrass! That's what it tastes like! It still has my mouth watering and my tongue wandering around like Yukon Cornelius looking for Gold!

I'm gonna hafta call Vintage here. I have never had this level of flavor development, subtlety and smoothness from anything less than 15 years old.
This cigar a Joy, literally.

Pardon me while I enjoy what's left and I'll finish up after.

Well, that's a Topper for sure. It continued to deliver right up, til I placed it in the tray at just under an inch. It left me Happy and Impressed. I frequently say "The Beauty of Hand Rolled Cigars is the Variety." While that's true, it's not the whole story, is it? There is the Beauty of Construction. The admiration of the Torceadors ability to create a Work of Art from cured leaves. The Blenders Art of getting the combination Juuuust right. All must work in concert or it does not fly.

The Beauty is in the Celebration of All of the individual elements that come together perfectly to create something so Wonderful and Special as the Great Cigar.

This IS That Great Cigar.

Final Thoughts: Anything could have happened to this cigar. But, nothing bad did. From the moment the seed was first harvested, through the growing cycle, the curing schedule, the roll prep, the roll, the aging process, storage and shipment to years in a properly attended Humidor. All done properly in order to create This, a Perfect Cigar.

A Gentleman's smoke Indeed. Surely, wasted on the likes of me, but it was fully appreciated and completely enjoyed.

Thank You Sean.

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote