Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
aficionado99
Club Member

Punch Churchill PAS JUL00

Last night was my "Monthly Godfather Night" . In Canada you dont get to see The Godfather on TV more then once a year but here in Maine we get to see part 1 and part 2 at least once a month on AMC TV , I know some of you are going to tell me "why not get the DVD ? " well in fact I do have the French/English DVD , the English/Spanish DVD , and the French/Italian DVD , plus the Italian VHS as a collectible I dont speak Italian it was gifted to me , I could tell you by whom but then I'd have to kill you (LOL) , my point here is that I'm not a big TV fan , so that once a month thing gives me the opportunity to "sit back , relax and enjoy the ride " and do a few things during the commercials (I love those commercial breaks)

So now let's get to our serious business here.
I've read a few not too flattering comments on that cigar and being one of my favorites I've decided to crack a box open , I've bought 8 boxes so far from with different box and factory codes so for this review I chose the box PAS JUL00.

It was in my cabinet at 68F/67%RH , I picked the cigar right in the middle of the top layer very dark/oily, toothy ,veiny wrapper.
I clip it and at my great surprise that cigar had a more then Perfect Draw , not loose draw but not tight either , just PERFECT , you know when you get one of those that it's going to deliver humungous amounts of tasty smoke , the cold draw had a nice mellow woody taste , so let's fire up this baby........

It took 2 small matches to have that cigar fully ignited and at the lighting it had a very present overwhelming but nice chocolate taste , I had to do a slight burn correction at the 3/4 inch mark , it had a solid dark ash that when broken up just volatilized in dust, the fist third lasted 16 minutes.
At this point I needed a drink to clean my palate so I went for coffee.Spices started seriously to kick in while moving onward to the second third od that cigar.

Very nice spicy mix of nutmeg and citrus blended in as I attacked that second 1/3 but I had to put down that stick to strir the recipe that was on the oven , on my return the cigar was out so I had to relight for the first time and make a second burn slight correction , on that lighting the aromas shifted from very spicy to floral aromas like roses or even spring flower garden which lasted 2 or 3 minutes before moving back to more tradional Punch aromas like crushed coffee beans .

Last 1/3 starts with a third burn issue (those should be unmentionnable , but i'm a picky smoker), very strong and full bodied cigar is at "The Rendez-Vous" , woody , coffee and nutty perfect aromas are the flagship of that specific stick. Heavy and thick puffs of smoke leave a beautiful creamy aftertaste in my mouth . My taste buds are dancing a mix of Salsa and Meringue in joy. On the finish ( I nubbed it ) this cigar has a very strong taste of clover.
Overall experience , a complex , tasty stick , a few burn issues but evoluates at a steady pace from mild to medium on the first half to medium to full body on the second half , to reach a crescendo of aromas on the finish.

A truly genuine Cuban cigar made in all traditionnal means.

I give it an 8.8/10