Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Rocky Patel Summer Collection 2008-Robusto

I had never even heard of these, before I saw the cigar in the Humidor at Azucar.

CIGAR:

R P Summer Collection 2008 Robusto 5 x 50 retail for all sizes are $7 to $9 each. These are a new release and are billed as a LTD edition.

APPEARANCE:

The band caught my eye, before I even knew it was a Patel product. A sharp 4 color band, red, gold, black with shiny metallic silver. The silver is embossed to look like tiny diamond plate, it catches the light and Your attention. Rocky has always had an eye for sharp packaging.
The Wrapper is a multi hued medium dark brown finish. The semigloss finish is inconsistent, It is flat and darker at the foot and shiny at the head. The texture is smooth with only a slight veining protruding along the body.

CONSTRUCTION:

This is a solid cigar, with no soft spots. I mentioned the darker foot before, it also appears to be slightly firmer. OK, it's hard as a Rock.
After clipping the head, it sports a firm draw and a dry tobacco taste, pre-light.

ACTION:

And Away We Go!
First draw off the triple Flame is Spicy.
When I searched for info on this line I found only three sizes listed on several sites, but no actual descriptions or specs. Just the same smarmy cigar babble that tells You nothing, while trying to entice You to buy some. Statements about Limited status and unique qualities, but Zero Wrapper, Filler or Binder info, Nuttin.

Now, where was I? Spicy, ahh yes.
So far it is quite spicy, my lips are already tingling. The draw has lightened up and is producing substantial smoke on the draw and only slight wisps at rest. One half inch in and it already has a wobbly burn. The spice has eased a bit, but You still feel it in the back of the throat. The other flavors are strong leather and a slight metallic steel taste. Okay Yes, I remember what steel tastes like from my Youth.

One inch in and the burn has self corrected, the cigar is smoking nice and cool. I open up the Head with another light clip, still not full diameter yet, but draw had tightened up a touch. The finish is lingering with a pleasant Toasty tobacco flavor.

This is definitely a Full Flavor Smoke.
The White spice and Leather are the predominate flavors now. The slight metal taste has disappeared and the finish has lessened in duration and now is actually fairly crisp and clean. There is just a hint of twang.

If it is, as it appears to be a limited production blend, there will be interest in collecting them. It has plenty of personality, at least in this Robusto size.
The other sizes that I found listed were, a Toro 6 1/2 x 52, a Toro Grande 6 x 58 and this reviewed Robusto 5 x 50.

I'm half way through this cigar and I already see/taste It's potential, even without details on it's components.
The flavors have mellowed just slightly and that works here. It allows You to enjoy the separate flavors and the experience. Instead of blowing you out, it pulls You in.

As I sit here and watch the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics and enjoy this Surprise of a cigar, both enhance each. That is the Beauty of a well executed Hand Rolled cigar. There are corollaries to both. The Cigar Arts are an Analog experience in Our modern Digital World. That ties in well with the Old World imagery of China.

Cool.

The smoke continues to burn a crooked path, but nothing serious. The ash crumbles into tiny shreds of grey and fall away as dust. The mellowing continues nicely, there is plenty of flavor, still.

As I wind down this unit, it continues to Perform. With stable flavors and enough variety to keep it interesting.

I Like!

CONCLUSION:

The experience was a Very Good One. I would be interested to get more details on the Blend and process. The minor detraction's of burn, are just that, Minor. Given the price point for a LTD smoke I think that it's a Winner.
Now, if I can just get the guy's at the shop to carry the rest of this line...

I say Try it!

Cheers, to New Smokes!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote