Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
EZthefix
Starting Member

Zino Platinum Scepter Chubby

Zino Platinum Scepter Chubby
Posted by E.Z. under Cigar Reviews (Photos)

Every now and gain I’ll smoke a renowned and relatively expensive cigar and come away thinking that the stick is an absolute rip-off. One such disappointment, to the surprise of many of the readers of this blog, was the Trinidad Robusto Extra (Cuba).

This review of the Zino Platinum Scepter Chubby made me think of that Trinidad review, but only in as much as it exemplified what the Robusto Extra should have tasted like… no joke!

Both of these cigars are supposed to be lighter bodied, finesse type of smokes. You shouldn’t expect to have your socks knocked off with the Chubby; exceptional attention to detail, impeccable construction, and an excellent volume of light-bodied and elegantly aromatic smoke is what the entire Platinum Scepter series is all about.

The Chubby is a very well made cigar. It also happens to be a very nice format and gauge, allowing for a pleasant smoke of just about forty minutes. The Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper is on the cigar smells of sweet cedar and butter; it hints at a lighter-bodied smoke ahead, nevertheless, it’s a delight. It brought back memories of my early Davidoff infatuation days, though I would say that the Davidoff Millennium Series wrappers are tad fuller than the Platinum Scepters’.

The pre-light draw on the cigar is mild but nice, delivering some notes of hay and sweet spice. I lit this one up with a cedar strip—the narrow foot makes for a foolproof traditional lighting—and got immediate plumes of aromatic smoke.

The notes were predominantly of sweet spices and herbs—nutmeg and tarragon come to mind, respectively. As the smoke progressed, it got chewier and a tad earthy, though retaining its original character. I got a bit more cedar and intensity of spicy notes before the end.

As you can probably see, the burn on the Chubby was perfectly even and the ash was appropriately long. Don’t feel compelled to take this cigar to the nub, though; lay it down in time and enjoy a sweet woody finish. I recommend the Platinum Scepter Chubby to anyone who likes milder cigars for sure, and even if you normally do not, it’s still a heck of an elegant smoke, delivering where other touted cigars fall flat.
EZthefix is offline   Reply With Quote