Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #1
Little Steve
Club Member

H.Upmann Connoisseur No 1 LRL ABR 00

A very generous Swedish BOTL gifted me one last month. This cigar left such an impression I had to purchase a box for myself. I’ve had the box for two weeks and allowed them to dry and rest a bit after I received them.

Pre-Smoke

Appearance and Construction
This claro wrapper had a very fine texture. Similar to a workman’s leather glove. Perfect cap. Firm bunch.
10/10

Burn
The burn was even with a flat coal. The ash was black to dark grey on the outside while the middle was grey to white. Thick burn, fair combustion. No major problems whatsoever.
9/10

Draw
Firm resistance, but still a decent amount of smoke.
8/10

Aroma/Bouquet
Smooth, elegant, clean and subtle. Very modest.
9/10

Smoke

Flavor
First half
Ample richness, perfect balance, medium body with a generous amount of flavors which included sweet cream, clean tobacco, and an herbal flavor which reminded me of the first half of a Quai d’Orsay Panatela. After an inch, it revealed a dough characteristic.

Second half
Remained the same until the last third. It became tighter and stronger while picking up a dusted earth flavor.
18/20

Finish/Aftertaste
Medium sweetness. No bitterness in the first 2/3’s, last third had a light bitterness. Light clean acidity. Light saltiness. Medium finish.
19/20

Summary
Very modest character. Clean, refreshing, and flavorful. A great example of H. Upmann and of the 2000 vintage. A good all around smoke.
19/20

Appearance/Construction 10/10
Burn 9/10
Draw 8/10
Aroma/Bouquet 9/10
Flavor 18/20
Finish/Aftertaste 19/20
Summery 19/20

Total 92/100