Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #1
pauljmuk
Starting Member

Hoyo - Du Dauphin

Not seen any reviews of these on the international market. I bought this in the UK, cab selection, (no band) - Think it is part of a special Hoyo de Monterrey cabinet selection series. - this one a 6 inch cigar, 38 ring guage.

Presentation exceptional (although no band...), but lovely medium to light wrapper, slight pigtail cap, and wonderful looking construction.

I dont normally enjoy such thin cigars (especially in the evening as I had this), but read on.

Cigar cut and lit perfectly - had been nicely kept and stayed in tip top condition. Perfect light, draw and burn throughout the smoke.

Never bitter or hot once, which surprised me for the ring guage.

Anyway - on to the experience. I thought this cigar was going to be light throughout. Early smoke held true to this, (although with occasional flashes of spice and wood). Real mad flavour of earth / soil / wood / freshly cut trees and such like came rolling in - like standing in a timber yard and inhaling the sawdust whilst someone brewed coffee and smoked a good cigar next to you..... (trust me, that sounds bad - it was far from bad....) With each puff, alongside the sawdust was a kind of refreshing hit - a light cigar with a kind of southpaw spice hit that would come on when you least expected it. Cant quite pin this one down - very fresh, but very earthy.

Latter half of cigar got a bit woodier, spicier. Certainly some hints (very very vauge) of coffee (milky coffee) as the woody earthy flavour was still abound. Certainly not tar-ry, but certainly slight hints of pepper, and coal.

Nice length for the guage also - thought it would go to quick (and too hot) but it never did. Lasted good hour, and loved every minute.

No splits, side burns or "going out". What more can I say - I want to buy more.

Not that cheap in the UK (nearly £9 each) - but I got this from great dealer who splits boxes and sells singles online (quite unusual in the UK I can assure you). Great dealer for sampling. Will be looking to fill the (small) humi with a couple of handfuls of these babys

I keep my own tasting notes and scorings. I gave this a 9. Nearest competitors on my records so far are the Siglo I and II and Ramon Specially Selected (at 9.5 out of ten), , the El Rey Tres PC (at 9) and the Diplo 5 and RyJ Cedros 3 (at 8.5). I know I know , they are all VERY different styles, but as I start to build my cigar tasting notes (as I have done with Whisky for the last 10 years) I thought it worth placing this in the league table as it were. Dont worry --- I also keep record of flavour profile, strength, wrapper, etc etc and I tend to keep stocks of all from 7.5 out of 10 to the best. Just wanted to make the point that this is really close to top. Although that surprised even me, as it was fairly "uneventful" - just great though.

Am I rambling enough? - just buy one. I'd say smoke it young. No idea on aging - but I think you really want to experience that fresh, timber yard, earthy, soily freshness.

Enjoy