Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Pipe Room

Pipe Room A place for the discussion of Pipes and Pipe Tobaccos.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2003, 01:37 PM   #10
Natgolfer
Club Member

Location: #14, 559 yard par 5, lying 1, right side of fairway, 242 yards out, taking a leak behind an oak tree
I have made two pipes so far, and have another block of plateaux briar waiting for a design to emerge.

My first effort was a large capacity, thick walled pot design with a quarter bent ebonite stem. As this was my first experience with working with briar, it shows some flaws, but I think it has character and it smokes very well. I left this pipe natural, allowing the briar to color on its own, and embellishing it only with several coats of carnuba wax.

My second pipe started as a piece of plateaux and is a freestyle "sitter" with a quarter bent ebonite stem. I made an error in judging how close to the bowl the front of the pipe was, and carved a bit too much, which resulted in a small "burn spot". This has not affected the smokability of the pipe, and again, I think it adds some character. This second effort was stained dark walnut and finished with several coats of carnuba. I also bent a straight stem myself to finish this pipe. Except for the darkened spot on the front of the bowl, it turned out very well.

For both pipes I used a Dremel Mototool with a variety of burrs and sanding cylinders, as well as hand sanding and finishing on my bench grinder using two different grades of polishing wheels. I found that making these pipes was very satisfying and rewarding. Flawed as they might be, they are the product of my hands and imagination, and I am proud to include them in my small collection. They are part of my regular rotation.