Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

R y J robusto.

I've had this one for several years, maybe as long as three or more. I just decided that since it was in the seventies, I should take a shot at getting one more quality smoke before colder weather hits.

I'll cut the description short. Nicely made, good looking wrapper, a little tooth, quite handsome and well constructed. Straight and firm. Good draw upon cutting. I lit up, and had problems really getting a handle on the smoke. It was hot for what I was expecting, a little harsher than I expected. I was getting smells and taste that reminded me of burning leaves, especially those of the old oak trees that I had at my other houses. Really nothing special at first.

At an inch into it, it had a good white ash, and it had mellowed significantly. I began to get better aromas, and better taste. The smell was vaguely like I expect from certain cameroon cigars, the taste was still pretty new and different. There was a long, slightly spicy finish, just a slight hint of sweetness. It did not hold an ash well, it dropped off twice, with only about an inch accummulated.

These flavors and aromas are sort of what I have gotten from some brazillian, and some mexican, and some cameroon. Really hard to categorize.

It was good until I gave it up, not getting harsh or obnoxious. I tossed it a little after 45 minutes, as time was just up. I had it with coffee, but I think that it would have been better with port or another sweeter drink to balance the slight woody bitterness.

It was worth trying again. If the next ones are more to my liking, fine, but if this was a good example, I don't think that it really suits me at this time.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote