Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Reckoning Torpedo by Studio Tobac

I've had this cigar in the humidor for several months. As with my previous review, I know nothing about the brand.

The cigar is well made. The dark brown wrapper is smooth and glossy. It isn't dark enough to be broad leaf. Maybe Ecuadoran? A whiff of the foot yields a light tobacco aroma.
I clipped a good portion of the pointy end and the draw seemed pretty good.
I put fire to the foot with a match and puffed away for a bit. I didn't get quite the amount of smoke I expected. And the after taste was somewhat bitter. I chewed the torpedo end a bit to perhaps open it up. The draw seemed okay. The burn was fairly even and the ash was white.
At about the halfway mark the flavor finally opened up. The bitterness faded to a dusky caramel flavor. The ash and taste say to me that this is medium body Nicaraguan tobacco.
Still wasn't getting as much smoke as I'd have liked. I've said that the draw was good, but maybe the torpedo end was restricted a bit. I should have had my Perfect Draw tool with me. Sometimes opening up a torpedo end a little can make a big taste difference.
I smoked this cigar down to about the 2 inch mark. The second half was much better than the first. I'd call it a fairly mundane smoke. Maybe a 6 out of 10.
I'd like to smoke a few more before making a final judgment on the brand.

Epilogue: CI's website shows this to be an Oliva product. They call the shape a belicoso. It is 6" x 54. The wrapper is sungrown Habano and the filler is said to be full of ultra-potent Nicaraguan ligero.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote