Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Rights in America

Cigar Rights in America Discussion of smokers' rights in all 50 states.

Old 04-21-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

LEGISLATIVE ALERT!!

Rep. Pallone Introduces New Comprehensive Tobacco Bill

Yesterday, Congressman Frank Pallone (D-NJ), chairman of the Energy & Commerce Committee, along with Congresswoman Donna Shalala (D-FL), introduced a comprehensive tobacco bill. The bill, “To amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act with respect to the sale and marketing of tobacco products, and for other purposes” (H.R. 2339), will be called the ‘‘Reversing the Youth Tobacco Epidemic Act of 2019.While premium cigars have not contributed to this epidemic, they would still be significantly impacted by this legislation. The bill would amend the 2009 Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, originally designed to curb youth access to cigarettes. This new legislation would extend the current regulations on cigarettes to all other deemed products, including cigars. It also introduces a number of new restrictions on tobacco sales.

How “Reversing the Youth Tobacco Epidemic Act of 2019” would impact premium cigars:
Ban Online Sale of All Deemed Tobacco Products – Online sales of cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products were banned in 2010, but this bill would extend that rule to ALL deemed products, which currently includes premium cigars.

Increase User Fees – The FDA would have explicit authority to collect fees from all deemed products in addition to cigarettes and the total amount of fees collected by the agency would increase by $100 million.

Raise Minimum Tobacco Purchase Age to 21 – The minimum age to purchase tobacco would be 21 nationwide. There is no provision prohibiting states or localities from raising the minimum age above 21.

Advertising & Sales Restrictions – All cigarette advertising and sales restrictions would also apply to premium cigars. This means advertising any tobacco brand on non-tobacco merchandise (such as t-shirts or other apparel) is prohibited; event sponsorship (music, sports, etc.) by a tobacco brand or manufacturer is prohibited; and free gifts (even non-tobacco) in exchange for consideration of purchasing a tobacco product is prohibited.

Ban Flavored Tobacco Products – Characterizing flavors of all tobacco products would be prohibited under this Act.

IPCPR opposes this legislation. We will continue to engage with lawmakers to work to seek fair treatment of premium cigars by the FDA. Premium cigars are a 100% natural, artisan product and should not be regulated the same as cigarettes or electronic nicotine delivery systems. We are continuing to gain support and co-sponsors for our exemption bills in both the Senate (S.9) and the House (H.R. 1854). To read the House Committee on Energy & Commerce’s section by section breakdown CLICK HERE.

*This week, Senator Mitch McConnell (R-KY) announced his intentions to introduce a Senate bill raising the minimum tobacco purchase age to 21. Updates to come.

For questions regarding H.R. 2339 or other legislative concerns, contact Tori Ellington by emailing tori@ipcpr.org.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:02 AM   #2
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I think I better buy some coolers and stock up while I still can. Within a few years buying cigars will be almost impossible.

If people can tell me where to smoke, I can tell them where to go, too.
Rob G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:03 AM   #3
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God

Or, I may be forced to start buying Cubans from overseas. Oh, the irony.

Old 12-22-2019, 05:57 AM   #4
N8DCJ
Club Member

This bill has made it out of the committee, it does exempt premium cigars, however, this is from a CA article...

"There is, however, a catch. The definition of premium cigars in this bill is defined as having a retail price of no less than $12. Such a pricing structure would only cover a portion of the premium cigar industry."

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/arti...premium-cigars

Dan
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #5
Rob G
Contributing Editor
Herf God