Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Mr. Creosote's Diner

Mr. Creosote's Diner Fried, boiled, smoked, seared or sautéed, this is the place we discuss our favorite foods and their preparation. Grab a knife and fork and dig in!

Old 10-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
jeepdad
Club Member

Roux

Usually shortly after Thanksgiving when whole turkey is crazy inexpensive I buy a couple birds for my gumbo. I love making gumbo I usually make five gallons at a time of my Smoked Turkey and Sausage gumbo. Love it because it's all mostly fresh ingredients. I put a shit ton in the freezer and pull it out on those cold winter nights.

Making that much roux takes time and my undivided attention. So much time that I usually pull up a stool to the stove. I've read a number of gumbo recipes that say their roux takes mins. Mine never has it usually right at under an hour. It's a slow and deliberate process. I like my roux very dark! My recipe is solid I got it from a fellow living in Texas with Louisiana ties named Kevin from a Barbecue forum. So I make the roux then fold in the holy trinity (onions, bell peppers and celery).

This year I'd like to make my roux even more flavorful. Any tried and true ideas? I read one article that said they use bacon fat instead of oil I may try that. Thanks

--Dan

Last edited by jeepdad; 10-07-2020 at 02:28 PM.
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
BigJohn
Chief Geek, @cigarweekly

Any fat can flavor the roux. Peal the skin off, render it slowly like in a toaster oven, and use that, plus sausage and bacon fats... Nummy!

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
Help support the CigarWeekly webhost (me!) > Shop online? Start HERE: direct to Amazon.com
Protect your computer from VIRUSES > Get Avast!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:33 AM   #3
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

Chef Prudhomme had a 3 to 5 minute technique whereas he heated the fat to 350 degrees before adding the flour and stirred like hell. I don't make roux anymore. I buy it premade. It comes in jars (Richard's, Maman, or Savoie's) or powdered (Tony Cacherie's).

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:35 AM   #4
vernonator
Herf Meister

I have had success putting it in a covered dutch oven and popping it in a 350deg oven for a couple hours....check in periodically to give a quick stir and see if its the color you want. Easy Peasy....
vernonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 04:44 PM   #5
N8DCJ
Club Member

I can tell you this from personal experience, jeep knows his stuff when it comes to gumbo etc... another website , I wanted to make his gumbo recipe. the roux I was worried about , he gave me his cell , walked me thru the process , I would send pics, he would tell me next step etc... gumbo came out great ...
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."
N8DCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:57 AM   #6
Jester
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernonator View Post
I have had success putting it in a covered dutch oven and popping it in a 350deg oven for a couple hours....check in periodically to give a quick stir and see if its the color you want. Easy Peasy....
I learned that method from Alton many moons ago and it is my method for planned meals requiring a roux.

... and Prudhomme method when it is an unplanned need.

J.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:26 PM   #7
jeepdad
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
Chef Prudhomme had a 3 to 5 minute technique whereas he heated the fat to 350 degrees before adding the flour and stirred like hell. I don't make roux anymore. I buy it premade. It comes in jars (Richard's, Maman, or Savoie's) or powdered (Tony Cacherie's).
Gonna try this method tomorrow. Gonna put bacon grease in a covered Dutch oven in the oven at 350 then once it hits 350 gonna take it out add the flour stirring like crazy then add the trinity.

One question do I put the Dutch oven in during preheat then once oven hits 350 take it out or leave it in for a duration of time? I googles Chef Prudhomme quick roux but didn't find anything.

One recipe said both oil and flour in oven for 2-2.5 hours.

Last edited by jeepdad; 01-30-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:54 PM   #8
Jester
Contributing Editor
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdad View Post

One question do I put the Dutch oven in during preheat then once oven hits 350 take it out or leave it in for a duration of time? I googles Chef Prudhomme quick roux but didn't find anything.

One recipe said both oil and flour in oven for 2-2.5 hours.
Were I doing it in that fashion, I would have the oil in the Dutch oven and the whole shebang in the wall oven to reach desired temp..preheat and all. The Dutch will carry enuf heat that way. Then add flour when it is rocket hot and work the roux quickly until just short of desired shade and stop it with the Trinity.

Done...hopefully.

J.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:16 PM   #9
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

https://youtu.be/Np3uGcdQNUw

There you go. Equal proportions flour and fat. Prudhomme's Magic blended seasonings are available in the spice aisle of the grosto. They are worth seeking out. Poultry and seafood blends are just about perfect.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:35 AM   #10
jeepdad
Club Member

Everything is in the pot set to simmer for 5-6 hours.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk