Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > I'll Drink to That!

I'll Drink to That! What is your favorite beverage to have with a cigar? Juice? Cola? Beer? Port? Single Malt Scotch? This room is for the discussion of beverages, especially alcoholic beverages that go well with cigars!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2006, 05:01 PM   #1
MalkavianX

A total newbie's thoughts on tequila

So, I stop by frougal macdougal's today by carowinds in south carolina, motsly intending to window shop and pick up a dram if i see somethin on sale....

Well, they had a sample station set up, for two new flavors of Bailey's, Bushmills and Jose Cuervo Black Medallion. I passed on the bailey's flavors, tried the bushmills (not bad, but pricey for my taste) Then just on a whim I tried the Cuervo black (hey it's free )

Now first a little background: In my drinking career I've had maybe a total of four shots worth of tequila, mostly the standard gold label Cuervo that is the love and bane of college students everywhere. At the time I was pleasantly surprised by the mild spicy -sweet taste and filed it away for future reference. My experience with tequila as far as reading basically reads like this: Cheap tequila is the stuff that drinking party nightmares are made of, the expensive stuff makes single malt look cheap. Middle ground? Nothing.

So, I take a sip. Wow. Only coherent sound to come from me in the next 30 seconds was a low whistle, a lot like the one you get when a 67 Shelby passes me on the highway going flat out. I'm tasting spice notes buried in vanilla covered in oak and for the love of all that's distilled its SMOOTH. I looked down forlornly at the half-sip that was left in the sample cup, wishing she'd poured me about 3 fingers in a tumbler instead of a sip in a plastic cup. Finish it. Wow, same sensation.

Bought a bottle. $23 and change (think it was on sale) for a squat 750mL, which is an excellent presentation for this spirit, with all the bragging on the label about being oak aged, the color in the bottle takes my mind directly to my granddad's workshop and the color of stained hardwood.

Now, think is, I don't really know how this stacks up in the scheme of things, but DAMN is it yummy. Now to find a clean glass...
MalkavianX is offline   Reply With Quote