Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
Accident

My 2 cents on Beads.

I purchased the 65% beads from Heartfelt. I have them in all my 5 humi's now. My experience so far is that they keep the spaces right at 67% +-1% with a salt calibrated digital hygrometer. I replaced the florofoam pucks in the black humi devices with beads. I don't care for these black containers as you cant see the beads to tell when they turn white. I prefer my DIY clear pucks which is a no brainer. No hygrometer needed in EACH humi. As long as the beads are not all white, I know I'm ok. I use a medicine dropper to drop distilled water on them every few weeks. I had an accident in 2 of my black humi containers. After the humidity shot up to 75% in the one I happened to be monitoring I opened it up to find that I had over watered the thing and water had run out all over the floor of the box. DANG!! only one cigar got wet a bit on the bottom.. No damage. Water just poured outta it and another I had over watered. Can't see the beads to know when it's full. I will be replacing these with DIY clear ones.

Beads are great, I highly recommend them. They eliminate the need for a hygrometer if you can visually monitor the beads easily. I won't be buying any more hygrometers, just more beads, and of course cigars!

Accident

Charter Member FFF
Accident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
shikar

Could you please elaborate on the DIY clear pucks. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:17 AM   #3
Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikar
Could you please elaborate on the DIY clear pucks. Thanks.
I was afraid you would ask! I'll post pix and details. May not be today tho.
Accident

Charter Member FFF
Accident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:27 AM   #4
Harleyrider
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident
... I'll post pix and details. May not be today tho...
Old 11-07-2006, 06:33 AM   #5
vicsteele
Club Member

Re: My 2 cents on Beads.

Quote:
No hygrometer needed in EACH humi. As long as the beads are not all white, I know I'm ok.
Take $20 and do yourself a huge favor and buy a hygrometer. Putting your trust in beads is irresponsible. The weather changes, humidity in the air etc... can affect your cigars. You even said yourself that you had an accident

Quote:
I had an accident in 2 of my black humi containers. After the humidity shot up to 75% in the one I happened to be monitoring
What would you do if this happened in your other humi with no Hygrometer? I presume you have invested enough money in cigars that you wouldn't want to ruin them because you had no idea what the RH was.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:48 AM   #6
ElkTwin

By the end of a few weeks a hygrometer becomes redundant. Based on my experience I can tell when my cigars are happy and when they're not.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:01 AM   #7
KatDad
Herf God

I love happy cigars, and beads.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:03 AM   #8
audio1der
Club Member

Some guys are really anal about cigar care, some guys are really carefree. Each to their own...
Cuban cigar snob #1.
audio1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:34 AM   #9
KatDad
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der
Some guys are really anal about cigar care, some guys are really carefree. Each to their own...
Well said.
I'm one of those who treats my cigars like my house plants, with benign neglect.
With beads, like with the plants, I water occassionallyand they do just fine.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
jaybo41
Club Member

Heartfelt beads are the best investment I've made when it comes to cigars. Easy to maintain and it took all the guess work out of things back when I was a noob I got moldy cigars and had problems keeping my humis at a consistent humidity BEFORE purchasing the beads. I trust the beads after having used them for almost a year now, they keep my smokes happy I still like a hygrometer in there-- Just some extra insurance for the fluctuation in climate and relative humidty here
jaybo41 is offline   Reply With Quote