Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2005, 09:40 PM   #1
Manny

Built-in hygrometers

So I got a new humi for X-mas... not too shabby considering it came from the in-laws It's a nice-looking Savoy brand glass-top, I'd say 75-ct or so. It's got a built in dial hygrometer that you read from the outside of the unit. I set it up probably 5 days ago, wetting the humidifying unit with distilled water and putting a couple of dishes of tap water in there. The humiditiy went up slowly and then got stuck at 60% for a couple of days. I decided to check it out by using my other hygrometer from my coolerdor, which I have salt-tested fairly recently and has always run very accurately. Anyway within 1/2 hour it had shot up to 80%, which seems consistent with what's happened in my past experiences when you try to season a humidor using open containers of water. Yet, the hygrometer that's embedded in the unit still says 60%.

Is it possible that the hygrometer is really off by 20%? Has anyone else had problems with dial hygrometers that come embedded in the humidor?

And, while I've got your attention, previously I've used a coolerdor with 65% Climmax beads and a bunch of cedar and cigars in there, and it holds right at 65% like a champ. This new unit came with one of the "black plastic with slots in it and green foam on the inside" type devices. Is this going to annoy me enough that I should just pitch in the trash and order some more beads?

Thanks in advance for any help, guys!
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote