Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2003, 09:16 PM   #1
JAlexander

Best Albums NO ONE has heard

Hi,

I'm kinda new to this section at CW, but I always thought that this would be a good thread somewhere... what are the best albums you've heard that nobody else ever has heard about (nor seems to care about) ?

I've got two:

CHICAGO - "The Stone of Sisyphus"
This is my favorite all-time band... and they got caught in the ballad trap of the 80s (ala Heart and Jefferson Starship). Their last ballad album of 1990 "Twenty-1" went nowhere and the record company decided to let them do an album the way they used to... back in the late 60s/early 70s. They enlisted producer Peter Wolf and recorded what I consider to be a masterpiece. This was 1993... the record company never released it, but it's been widely available as a bootleg. Some great rock tunes, and some neat cajun influences throughout as well. Worth seeking out.

Kevin Gilbert - "The Shaming of the True"
This is a concept album about a fictional lad named "Johnny Virgil" that pursues a music career only to leave it behind when all the b.s. starts taking over his life. K.G. was the mastermind that saved Sheryl Crow's big breakthrough album in the early 90s... She owed her career to him, but dissed him as far as credit... he takes a funny shot at her in "Shaming" which was released a couple years after he died in '96, accidentally... Musically... it's genius. The concept... not too bad... it's a good story.

anyways, sorry for the long explanations... anyone else?

Take care,
James