Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
aja
Tabaquero
Club Member

OUT ON A LIMB: WORLD CUP FINALS PREDICTIONS

Of course, everyone football aficionado I know are predicting a Brazil-Germany final. I don't think so...

Brazil are the heavy favorites EVERY World Cup tournment. But:

1. They seem vulnerable and their defense is not as organized as results would lead you to believe.

2. European soil have not been kind to South American sides (Brazil in Sweden 1958 is the only exception).

Germany haven't really played a top notch side yet. Although they are playing better, don't forget that 1) they played in an easy qualifying group and 2) a victory over Sweden is no big deal...the Swedes were one of the most disappointing sides of the tournament.

Honestly, I think Portugal and Argentina are the best squads at the moment. Argentina will beat Germany and reach the semifinals vs. Italy -where Italy's physical forwards causing problems for Argentina and snare a close 2-1 encounter to make the finals.

I expect the extremely well-organized Portuguese side to humble a sleepwalking English side and upset Brazil or France to reach its first World Cup final.

I know this isn't a very popular view, but I'm really looking forward to the upcoming matches to see how they play out. What do you folks think??!!
aja is offline   Reply With Quote