Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2006, 05:42 PM   #22
JerseyDevil65
Rangers Superfan
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrundog
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDevil65
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrundog
Buck O'neil
I disagree. Buck was a .288 career hitter with no power. He won 2 batting titles and was a 3 time All-Star. Good player? Yes, but hes not even close to being a HOF'er.
That's a pretty terse description of a good playing career. Put it together with his managing career and his later career as a scout and he might qualify.

But I'm no expert. You may be right. Here's what Buck said:

O'Neil commented after hearing that he had not been elected to the Hall at age 94: "God's been good to me," he told about 200 well-wishers who had gathered to celebrate but instead stood hushed and solemn. "They didn't think Buck was good enough to be in the Hall of Fame. That's the way they thought about it and that's the way it is, so we're going to live with that," he said. "Now, if I'm a Hall of Famer for you, that's all right with me. Just keep loving old Buck. Don't weep for Buck. No, man, be happy, be thankful." O'Neil said he was grateful for the chance to be voted into the Hall.

Classy guy.
I agree, he is very classy and he is a great ambassador for the game, I just don't think thats enough to put into the HOF. There were guys on the Veterans Committee who saw him play that did not vote for him, that says an awful lot, IMO.
JerseyDevil65 is offline   Reply With Quote