Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Lost City OPUS-X Lancero

This is the second, of three OPUS-X Lost City cigar Reviews. Again, I extend a big Thank You to Bobbystbob for providing me the opportunity to try them. So, let's see how this one goes!

Cigar: Opus-X Lost City Lancero Limited Issue.

Size: Lancero 7.5 x 38 with a Fantail cap.

Appearance: This is a good looking cigar. Medium Cocoa coloration with a perfect fantail finished cap. The required Opus-X Band and a smaller Lost City Band just underneath.

Construction: A cleanly turned out Lancero, with medium veining and uniform color on a slightly oily Wrapper. Zero soft spots and perfectly symmetrical from Head to Foot.

Pairing: Been out with Sailor Jerry all day so I'll continue to sail with that.

Pre Light: Traditional Opus Herbal Bouquet. Notes of allspice and Nutmeg. My first clip was too shallow and produced a near zero draw, so clip again did I. Much better results this time, a medium draw. Tight draws are not uncommon on the thin Ring Gauge sizes. This seems about right, just a hint of sweetness on the tongue. Charring the foot brought wonderful fragrant tones. Smells of Fresh Baked Bread fill the room.

Le Spark: We have a Green Light on the Tree, let's hit the gas!
As You would expect it lights quickly. The first puff is uneventful. The second also is very tame, but on the finish is a hint of things to come.
Slowly the pepper builds in strength, otherwise it is quite nondescript. The first of the the LC's that I reviewed was pretty fast off the line, but not this one. The incredibly long finish is steadily improving, but slowly. Three quarters of an inch and I already have a bit of a wavy burn going on. While I wait for it to kick into gear, I attempt to cleanly remove the LC Band. It comes off in pieces, but did not tear the Wrapper. Over an inch in and still nothing, but pepper and a bit of flavor on the loooong finish. It's like it takes 30 or 40 seconds for my tongue to catch up, weird. I clip to full diameter and the draw increases. I always give Lanceros extra resting time, between puffs, so as not to overheat them. Flavor is slowly on the increase, while the White Pepper remains constant. It's not unpleasant in any way, I was just expecting more flavor development.
First touch up at just under 6 inches.
Well, She finally begins to offer up a greater range of flavors. While the Pepper steps up a notch, so does and sweet herbal note of light cinnamon. The finish is also enhanced and it appears to be coming on nicely. The front end has needed no further adjustments, so far and the burn is cool and smooth. The ash is a uniform and firm light grey and the volume of billowy smoke has also increased. The Pepper has also transitioned into Full On Spicy goodness. This is finally an Opus-X cigar! It had me worried for a bit, but now all is well.
I clip it once more and clear the baffles and she settles right back into a lovely flavor range familiar to Opus fans. It took awhile to get here, but now it's running on all cylinders. The Power level is ramping up as well. The smoke now has my whole mouth tingling. Great notes of toasted fresh Bread with a touch of sweetness, all backed by that Spice at the back of my throat.
She chugs through the balance of the smoke in the proverbial "Sweet Spot" til the last inch and a half where it requires a touch up, but the flavor perseveres to finish strong.

Final Thoughts: While it took longer than normal to get there, it all worked out in the end. I retired it at 3/4 of an inch and called it good. An interesting smoke for sure. Many a Bit of text discusses the merit and payoff regarding the Opus Brand over price and performance. I must say They enjoy a unique and devoted following amongst many Cigar Lovers......including myself.

For me, I am grateful to have and enjoy Them.

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote