Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 07-28-2002, 09:38 AM   #1
britan
Club Member

Just when I had decided to purchase a Vicksburg from www.bargainhumidors.com (was going to order today), I read mhotek's post in the Retailer Specials forum telling about the new 'dors they will be coming out with.

Do I wait for the even larger Antietam?
Do I get the Shiloh (a battle my unit has a battle streamer for)? Darn you guys!

What to do, what to do...

BTW, I'm a HUGE Civil War buff, so I'll probably end up with them all eventually!
Old 07-28-2002, 10:13 AM   #2
brownman

Well, no offense to mhotek...

These humidors are not exactly "heirloom" quality. They probably do the job most of the time, but you usually get what you pay for.

If you dont want to invest in something like an elie bleu, daniel marshall, manning...

Than why not buy a cooler and some beads??

The coolers require just about zero maintanence, they work great, hold humidity perfectly and cost about $25....

I have custom made cabinets, elie bleu....

i also have igloo coolers. They aint quite as pretty, but they work just as well...
Old 07-28-2002, 12:29 PM   #3
britan
Club Member

brownman:

The humidors you mentioned are all great, but with the new house, they are way out of the budget range right now. As for the coolidors, I've got a 48 quart in the pantry.

I didn't expect the "bug" to bite as hard as it did, and quickly grew out of the small desktop I bought. It will be transferred to the office soon.

While mhotek's humi's may 'not exactly "heirloom" quality,' as you put it, the number of satisfied customers he has around here tells me they are not crap either. Besides, I figure I'd rather support a CW brother whenever I can.

Also, I'm checking the local auctions and antique malls for a suitable conversion project.

Brian
Old 07-28-2002, 12:53 PM   #4
brownman

its nice to support a cw retailer, but youll be paying about 10 times the price for storage...thats all i was saying.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:54 PM   #5
mhotek

Well, it depends on where you are putting it. I can't exactly stick a cooler in my living room. All of my coolers and my RubberMaid tubs live in my basement. The humidors in my living room are wood and selected to fit into my decor.

I'm one person that would consider an Elie Blue, Daniel Marshall, et al overpaying for storage. I have an El Rey that is coming up on 2 years old. Bought it long before my company was ever started. It does look great, seals perfectly, and has always done the job intended. I paid $110 for my El Rey and it holds 120 cigars after I installed an Oshkosh in it. I then filled it up with premium cigars and still wound up with something that cost less than the Elie Blue, Manning, Daniel Marshall, etc. that I could have gotten. I'm expecting to still have it 15 years from now and have it still functioning perfectly. "Heirloom" quality is in the eye of the beholder. I've been through the antique industry and seen a lot of "heirlooms" that I wouldn't give a plug nickle for while others would spend hundreds or thousands on them.

Coolers, tupperware, Rubbermaid tubs, Samadors, Ziploc bags, IDC humidors, Manning, Abbey, Orleans Group, Daniel Marshall, Artistocrats, Lissadors, fill in the blank with a hundred different brands all have their place in the scheme of cigar storage. The trick is matching the correct one to fit your needs along with your budgetary constraints.

The main thing you are paying for in a humidor is the seal. If it seals correctly, then the next is the capacity/exterior finish. After that you are looking at the interior finishing of the routing on the hinges etc. which is hidden 99% of the time. The factories are getting as good with exterior finishes as the hand made pieces. (Yes, Elie Blue is now a commercialized, mass produced humidor as well.) It's all a matter of what you are willing to pay for the extra details.
Old 07-28-2002, 02:40 PM   #6
brownman

not worth it....

get whichever one you like....

Edited by - brownman on 07/28/2002 4:33:14 PM
Old 07-28-2002, 04:28 PM   #7
britan
Club Member

I did...ordered a Vicksburg with Bubinga finish.
Old 07-30-2002, 12:34 PM   #8
Castanza
Club Member

Good Choice, i am still thinking about getting a vicksburg in the future. I believe once Sept rolls around the Coolerdor will be full, if not sooner.
Old 07-30-2002, 01:34 PM   #9
Dr. X

All good and valid points. Obviously, cost is a factor and may drive the boat. Personally I do think that the more expensive humidors offer an advantage. Yes, there are more expnsive humidors that stink and aren't as good as some of the cheaper ones.

However, to some, and with certain manufacturers, there is a bit of "you get what you pay for", as the quality issue is an important one. I do think that a Daniel Marshall (which compared to Ellie Bleu) is "affordable and of good value and the Ellie Blue offer an advantage over some of the cheaper humidors. To some it may be an intangible, but to others it may be distinct and important.

I was given a Daniel Marshall humidor, I believe it's called the Ambient or something like that, as a gift when they first came out. I think it went for a few hundred dollars. It is very well made and of high quality.

Like said before, you'll pay for bells and whistles, but you also pay for quality. Whatever you end up getting, enjoy it.

Dr. X
Dr. X is offline   Reply With Quote