Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > The Cedar Room

The Cedar Room A place for cigar storage and cigar accessories discussions.

Old 07-22-2002, 01:37 AM   #1
tschreier

I have never had a beetle problem before, and so I have never frozen my sticks. Anyway my collection will be gaining some new arrivels from our favorite island. Since this is the largest $$ outlay for smokes Im rather nervious about storage.

With my connie collection I have never thought to hard about bugs. So I need to get some good advice, on proper freezing and procedures. Humi's all sit at 68-72f and 70% hum. re salt check hydrometers every 3 mths. So Im covered on that end.

But also what about in or out of the box? With all my others I open the outer wrap or open the box about 1/16th to allow air flow.

tia
tschreier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 10:48 AM   #2
rmklaw1

I would also like to hear the words of widsdom.

!!!!!Mas vale un cigarro en la boca que veinticinco en camino!!!!!

!!!!!A cigar in you mouth is better than twenty-five on their way!!!!!
Old 07-22-2002, 11:31 AM   #3
Mayhem
Club Member

I have never had beetle problems and I have never frozen a cigar. If this is concerning you, I suggest keeping new arrivals segregated in their own box or bundle for a while.
Old 07-22-2002, 11:52 AM   #4
scotsman40
Club Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't a lot of vendors Freeze when they first get their supplies?
Old 07-22-2002, 12:48 PM   #5
Ross
Club Member

I have frozen all cigars from questionable sources (which includes habanos). I never freeze from most US sources. Now, if you choose to freeze, to be affective it must be at least -20 degrees F. Most upright home style freezers cannot achieve that. I have an older Sears chest freezer set to lowest temps it's capable of and it barely achieves -20-25 degrees. I freeze for 72 hours then into refridge for 24 hours then on basement coolerdor for another 24 hours then into humidor. There's lots of stuff in archives on this including discussions on affectiveness.
My current rotation: Most Perdomo, Oliva O, G and V, most CAO, Nub 464 maduro, Nub 464 Habano, a box or two of 5-Vegas, a couple boxes of ERdM Robusto Largo, Some AF Hemingway SS and some others I can't remember. It's a well-stocked Delta-T.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 03:56 PM   #6
mannish
Herf God

I never froze anything but some LGCs never hd a problem.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:04 PM   #7
fvfanmc
Self Exiled
Herf God

I never had a beetle problem, but I freeze them becuase it couldn't hurt.
fvfanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 08:04 PM   #8
BigBlue
Starting Member

Freezing is worth the peace of mind. I'm waiting until I ruin a batch of cigars before I start freezing, but I've only got crap cigars anyway. If it makes you feel better, get some info and freeze away.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2002, 08:37 PM   #9
Oppie X
Herf Meister

I never feeze.There have been test saying that it will not effect your cigars but I can't bring myself to do it.It has also been said that you need a freezer that will need to go below the temp. of a normal one for it to be effective.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:17 PM   #10
rramstad

I'd say it has everything to do with your climate. If you keep your cigars at or below 70 degrees, you almost certainly will not have problems.

I've heard that official Habanos cigars are fumigated, but that "custom rolled" cigars are not... so it would follow that it might make sense to freeze any "custom rolled" cigars and/or cigars of unknown origin.

I live in Seattle, my humidor is in my basement, I've had no problems with anything, including LGC Miami cigars... YMMV.

My cigars only occasionally get above 70 degrees even in the hottest part of the summer and at night are routinely at 65 degrees or so.
rramstad is offline   Reply With Quote