Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #1
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Dunhill Aged maduro short robusto

It is "a thing" now, especially in spoken, American English, to begin speaking about a new topic, or starting a conversation, with "so..." Thankfully, I have managed to check myself, and avoid this, just now, despite my growing inclination and bad habit of doing the very thing. Yes, I often type like I talk to garner some sort of "realism" or context; to find my voice or somehow sound like myself. The other habit I have, which I will indulge, is setting the scene of my cigar reviews by describing the metropolitan New Orleans weather as I sit outside. At six in the evening, just a few high, thin clouds dot the spectacular blue of the sky as winds from the south give wonderful movement to the mildness of a 67° afternoon.

Today's review is my entry, or hopefully, one of a few to participate in Cigar Weekly's and Jefslat's "March is for Robustos" review efforts. I have not written in a while, so this exercise comes at an opportune time. Ah, and there is Reese, the now-hearing-impaired incontinent dachshund informing me by barks, yelps, and whines, that she smells the smoke of this Dunhill Aged and demands to be out here.

This Dunhill Aged Cigar in maduro, is not a new offering. In researching, this cigar has been in production since 1989. How and when I got it, I disremember, now. It is somewhat recent, though, likely from Jefslat in a bag of samples from the 2016 or 2017 International Premium Cigar and Pipe Retailers' trade show.

The pretty cap cut easily with no mess and good technique with the now twenty year-old Cigar Savor double guillotine cutter that (touch wood) I have managed not to lose. One broken fireplace match gave life to a beautiful cigar and it immediately began to burn razor-sharp and evenly.
Dunhill Aged Cigar maduro short robusto by YmmotBB, on Flickr

Dunhill Aged Cigar 2 by YmmotBB, on Flickr

As mentioned, this is a maduro, with a dark, but not too dark wrapper leaf which I have read is sun grown. It is quite pretty. The binder is Nicaraguan. Here, at the beginning, the smoke is as smooth as the fine capa is. It is not unpleasant , at all. Quite flavorful, it is, with a soft, leathery character.

The filler blend includes piloto Cubano and olor leaves from the Cibao Valley. There is the merest tinge of sweetness beneath the aforementioned leathery character, or what others call "the core." By the time I have written this much the windy weather has hastened this little jewel almost to the half-way point.

Dunhill Aged Cigar 3 by YmmotBB, on Flickr

A stitch of cedar makes itself known, now, too. This, to me, is a pleasing development. Leather and cedar in a decidedly milder side of medium-bodied cigar? It's a treasure to be sure! To my mind, this is a CWer's cigar if ever there was one. It's a pretty-to-behold, well-constructed cigar with a solid, enjoyable flavor from some quality tobacco.

These are a "must have" for many here. Even more favorably, two of the larger online retailers offer the Dunhill Aged Cigars maduro short robusto (4" x 54- and it does NOT feel that fat) for $64.35 and $62.90 respectively, for a box of ten. A cigar of distinction and pedigree for only $6.30-$6.44 each? More, please.

In the words of mid-twentieth-century personality Art Linkletter, taken from the box of the board game The Game of Life, "I wholeheartedly endorse" these. They are well worth keeping in my humidor. Reese, or as Stan (CWer and close friend mrdiver) calls her "the Reeser," has not complained or run to the door yet, either.

Synopsis:
Dunhill founded in 1907; Dunhill Aged line released in 1989; made in the Dominican Republic, aged for one year.
Filler: piloto Cubano, olor, from the Cibao Valley.
Binder: Nicaraguan
Wrapper: sungrown.
Short robusto: 4" x 54
#RobustoMarch

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

Last edited by TommyBB; 03-22-2018 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Spelling
TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

I would say that this cigar is easily 4 stars or better!

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

That one's from the '16 show, Tommy. Still relevant.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Ž £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #4
bsslack
Herf Meister

A great read, sir Tommy!

You should do it more, IMHO.

Cheers!

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote