Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
cigarfan
Herf God

Question Why are prem brand prices skyrocketing?

But the store bundles, factory seconds and maybe 2nd tier brands..are staying around the same price point?
I understand you pay more for a premium brand name, with fancy packaging, advertising.
But it seems those lines are getting more..and more expensive. But the bundle, and store brands, and "off brands" seem to be holding their price line.

It's just creating a much wider gulf between these brands and the premiums.

If the new taxes are causing prices to rice, why is it mostly on the premium lines?

Last edited by TommyBB; 07-14-2011 at 08:39 AM.
cigarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
bigw
Club Member

Cause they can???
Old 07-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #3
tg81182

The mfrs have to support all the fancy new names for cigars, sort of a wag-the-dog scenario.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:21 AM   #4
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigw View Post
Cause they can???
Yep.

Nothing in a free-market economy happens in a vacuum. They're raising prices because they've discovered that they are able to sell their cigars at higher prices. As long as people are willing to shell out more money for cigars, cigar manufacturers will keep raising their prices. Simple as that.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:37 AM   #5
tonycsmoke
Club Member

Take a cigar and.......

put it in a bundle of 25. Charge $35 bucks for it and most people will laugh at it. They will only buy them to smoke while doing lawn work. They'll chuck the ban off before cutting and lighting.

or

Put it in a nice wooden box accompanied by marketing telling how it took two years to come up with the blend. Charge $10+ per smoke and people will savor them. Sip them like fine wine and leave the ban on as long as possible. It seems the more we pay the better we like them.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:37 AM   #6
grtrx
Contributing Editor
Herf God

I think it is also because volumes are down from the boom, and they either sell to everyday buyers or to the guys who go into a store once in a while and buy 1 or 2 sticks - and are willing to 'splurge' on the 1 or 2 cigars.

I wish that there was a better relationship between price and quality in cigars

"A sick thought can devour the body's flesh more than fever or consumption." - Guy de Maupassant
grtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #7
N99
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post
Take a cigar and.......

put it in a bundle of 25. Charge $35 bucks for it and most people will laugh at it. They will only buy them to smoke while doing lawn work. They'll chuck the ban off before cutting and lighting.

or

Put it in a nice wooden box accompanied by marketing telling how it took two years to come up with the blend. Charge $10+ per smoke and people will savor them. Sip them like fine wine and leave the ban on as long as possible. It seems the more we pay the better we like them.

+1 on this. The story makes the cigar a lot of times. Exclusivity and a gimmick help.
I have had major league cigars disappoint, and bundle cheapies that are twice as nice as cigars costing 3x more. Smoke what you like......

THINK, GADDAMIT!

gone bad (fff)
N99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
Mad Dawg
Administrator
Herf Dog
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycsmoke View Post
Take a cigar and.......

or

So...most people who buy cigars are poseurs and attention whores? Those are the guys driving the market?

Don't get me wrong - I've been around long enough to have seen ample evidence that you're right about the psychological factors involved. But I've also been around long enough to know that price and advertising spend are extremely poorly correlated with quality where cigars are concerned. Most of the seasoned cigar smokers I know get that as well, so your assertion seems to be that seasoned cigar smokers aren't the ones driving the market. I guess you could be right, but...

Personally, I don't give a tinker's damn what anybody else thinks of the cigars I smoke. I don't care if it's a buck-twenty cigar or a twelve buck cigar, the band comes off before the cigar gets clipped, and if it sucks, it gets pitched. There's only one person on the planet whose opinion of the cigars I smoke matters, and that's me.

The corollary is also clear: I don't give a tinker's damn what anybody else smokes. You wave a cigar around flaunting the band, you're a poseur, I'm not impressed.

Bottom line: Smoke what you like, like what you smoke, ignore the poseurs.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That which does not kill me....has made a grave tactical error.
Mad Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #9
KatDad
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg View Post
Bottom line: Smoke what you like, like what you smoke, ignore the poseurs.
Words to live by.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it
H. L. Mencken

The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants
Albert Camus

The Land of the Free Because of the Brave
KatDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #10
SmoKerch
Herf God

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtrx View Post
I think it is also because volumes are down from the boom, and they either sell to everyday buyers or to the guys who go into a store once in a while and buy 1 or 2 sticks - and are willing to 'splurge' on the 1 or 2 cigars.

I wish that there was a better relationship between price and quality in cigars
I think grtrx is closer to the actual truth.

The Great State of Confusion

Just because I may be paranoid, it doesn't mean there aren't people out there trying to get me.

Visit us on The Facebook: Kercheval Bros. Procrastination Consultants !

Galatians 5:24 - NLT
SmoKerch is offline   Reply With Quote