Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Talk

Cigar Talk A place for cigar enthusiasts to discuss our hobby, legal cigars and related stuff.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:35 PM   #1
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Don Tomas cigars

Back in the mid 90's in college when I was experimenting with pipe smoking, i went to the local shop to get some pipe tobacco and just decided to look around in their humidor and ended up buying a box of Don Tomas special edition or limited edition of some sort, and they were so good i gave away as much or more than I smoked.

I see them still readily available all over, so curious if they ever went through a change of ownership or anything effecting the taste or quality of them over the years.

Anyone know about thrir history and/or had any somewhat recently?

If so, how are they?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
smbauerllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 04:24 AM   #2
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

I liked them in the 90's too. Bought a box last year. Either my taste changed or its not the same cigar. It was okay, but not the mellow creamy smoke I remember.

Give it a try, what ya got to lose?
Old 09-01-2022, 10:31 AM   #3
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie5150 View Post
I liked them in the 90's too. Bought a box last year. Either my taste changed or its not the same cigar. It was okay, but not the mellow creamy smoke I remember.

Give it a try, what ya got to lose?
Interesting. Wonder if they were bought by a conglomerate or otherwise changed their blends over the years.

True, they are reasonably priced so may take a chance on some

I friggin love cigars
Old 09-01-2022, 12:26 PM   #4
ElkTwin
Ungulate in Chief
Club Member

From Mike’s cigars:

With over four decades of heritage, Don Tomás has artfully perfected a wonderfully rich, premium smoke that all aficionados can attain and enjoy.
Originally founded in the 1970s, Don Tomás has had a rich lineage, having been crafted and owned by the once prolific United States Tobacco Company (UST), holding company for U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, and, as of late, by General Cigar Company.
Each cigar by Don Tomás is still handcrafted in Honduras as it was from the beginning. Don Tomás was ranked several times at a 90 and above by Cigar Aficionado, consistently hovering near the 90 rating, and has also made Cigar Aficionado’s list of 25 best cigars in 2006.
Cigars by Don Tomás are a perfect addition to any humidor. With a smooth delivery of rich, complex flavors, a Don Tomás would be just as well enjoyed as an everyday accompaniment to a fine cup of coffee, as it would be a great stick to commemorate that special celebration.
ElkTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 02:05 PM   #5
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkTwin View Post
From Mike’s cigars:

With over four decades of heritage, Don Tomás has artfully perfected a wonderfully rich, premium smoke that all aficionados can attain and enjoy.

Originally founded in the 1970s, Don Tomás has had a rich lineage, having been crafted and owned by the once prolific United States Tobacco Company (UST), holding company for U.S. Smokeless Tobacco Company, and, as of late, by General Cigar Company.

Each cigar by Don Tomás is still handcrafted in Honduras as it was from the beginning. Don Tomás was ranked several times at a 90 and above by Cigar Aficionado, consistently hovering near the 90 rating, and has also made Cigar Aficionado’s list of 25 best cigars in 2006.

Cigars by Don Tomás are a perfect addition to any humidor. With a smooth delivery of rich, complex flavors, a Don Tomás would be just as well enjoyed as an everyday accompaniment to a fine cup of coffee, as it would be a great stick to commemorate that special celebration.
Great info i missed somehow.

So they were bought by General Cigar Company like many others.

I wonder if the blend was changed to cheaper tobacco and if the overall quality has changed since they were scoped up by a major conglomerate since i had mine in the mid 90's.

The CA information is pretty old at this point and things may have changed since then, plus I always take CA scores with a grain of salt compared to an "average joe's" opinion.

Will probably just have to get a fiver and see what I think. They are pretty cheap for a fiver. Enough so that I wouldn't cry if I didn't care for them.

I friggin love cigars

Last edited by smbauerllc; 09-01-2022 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:20 PM   #6
ElkTwin
Ungulate in Chief
Club Member

https://www.bnbtobacco.com/blogs/new...y-of-don-tomas
Old 09-02-2022, 04:22 AM   #7
stogie5150
CW Master Boiler
Club Member

Leave it to Brother Roger to school us up, thanks Brother Roger!

I almost hesitated to comment because I smoke so many cigars I dont know whether they tasted different because I smoke so much or they actually changed. Turns out, in this case, I may as well have been right.

FWIW, they weren't as good as the cigars we bought in the 90's, IMO.

Let us know what you think!
Old 09-02-2022, 07:22 AM   #8
smbauerllc
Friggin Tobacco Lover!
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by stogie5150 View Post
Leave it to Brother Roger to school us up, thanks Brother Roger!

I almost hesitated to comment because I smoke so many cigars I dont know whether they tasted different because I smoke so much or they actually changed. Turns out, in this case, I may as well have been right.

FWIW, they weren't as good as the cigars we bought in the 90's, IMO.

Let us know what you think!
Also posted this on the other forum I follow and getting the same responses about them having been better in the 90's than now.

I would expect its due to being snatched up by General Cigars at some point. Seems to happen whenever a company is bought up by one of the huge conglomerates.

Will probably still pick up a fiver and see what i think.

Got any suggestions on a particular one you recall being a standout from the other Don Tomas offerings?

This question goes to anyone who has had more than 1 of the recent production ones

I friggin love cigars
Old 09-02-2022, 07:45 AM   #9
ak2000
Charter Member
Herf God

Cheap crap IMHO.

If you are replying to the post directly above, there is no need to quote it since it's right there just above! Just clutters up the thread with long repeated posts.
JLOH #19
ak2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 11:11 AM   #10
ElkTwin
Ungulate in Chief
Club Member

Co-cola mod. LOL. There are like 25 posts a day here. WhoTF cares how long they are?

I was just thinking. It’s hard to believe Estelo has been gone 7 years.