Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > The Sports Bar

The Sports Bar A place for cigar smokin' sports fans to discuss the latest.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
carmine7075
Herf God

Bill O'Brien

So far, he has been a class act.

I have no idea whether or not he can successfully coach a top level DI program, and it will take many years to find out, but I have to say, based on what I have seen from him to date, that he has the potential to be a very good coach, one for whom that I would not hesitate to play.

Quote:
Bill O'Brien Teleconference Transcript - July 24, 2012

Q: Are you more worried about losing players this summer or after the season?
A: I don't really think about it that way. I reiterate it to the team every day- to these players- why they came here, what Penn State stands for (which is world renowned in education), the ability to come in here and play football on TV in front of108,000 fans, and play for a fantastic football coaching staff. So I don't think about down the line or tomorrow when it comes down to that stuff. I just continue to think about competing and communicating with our players.

Q: Did the severity of the sanctions surprise you when you were first made aware yesterday morning?
A: I would say in coaching that one of the things you learn right away is you always have to be ready for anything. Whether you are calling plays in a game or you are in ameeting with Bill Belichick, you have to be ready for anything. At the end of the day, this is the plan we have already started to implement for these new rules and that's where we are headed. That's the approach we are taking and we really can't wait to start practice and football to be honest with you.

Q: You mentioned earlier in your interview today with Bonnie Bernstein that you want to keep the 2012 team together. What is your gut feeling on the seniors sticking around for the season?
A: I feel good about this team right now. I have had a couple team meetings with these guys. We have a bunch of stand up, smart, Penn State kids. They care about this University and they care about this football team. They have developed a lot of chemistry over the last six months with this University and this coaching staff. I feel very good with where we are at right now. At the end of the day, we will find out the type of team we have when we start practice on August 6. As of right now, we are communicating with our players that we feel good with where we are at right now.

Q: How does this change your recruiting philosophy with now only having 15 scholarships?

A: Of course it changes it based on the numbers, but the philosophy that I brought here from my experience with the New England Patriots does not change. Which mean we arebringing players here that are high character guys, good students and good football players. We are going to try and find different ways to do that. At the end of the day, these are the rules we play under. To me, it's very much like an NFL roster. That's the way we are going to approach it without getting into any details. We are moving forward and looking forward to recruiting and coaching for Penn State.

Q: This has obviously been a tough time for a lot of people. What would your message be to Penn State fans?
A: I would tell them to renew their season tickets. I would tell them to move forward. I would tell them to turn the page and get on board with a new era of Penn State football. I would tell them to continue their belief in this fantastic University that offers people a fantastic education. I would tell them to remember that they have a football team here that is working extremely hard for this upcoming season. And I would remember to tell them the mission of Penn State, which as it relates to football, the value of a world-renowned education with the ability to play football. So I would tell them all to jump on board.

Q: Are you confident that you can keep your staff intact after this season?
A: I am very confident in this staff and our ability to work together and stay together.

Q: It sounds like the NCAA has created a free agency situation with the players of your team. Howwould you compare that to what it was like in New England?
A: Yes, it is a good comparison. That is a good comparison. Obviously in professional football, you are talking about money and paychecks, which we are not talking about here.What we are talking about here is the value of an education, the ability toplay football in front of 108,000 fans and in front of people on TV. In my opinion, you get to play six or seven bowl games a year right here in StateCollege and (in front of) its great fans. There are a lot of things in the NFL that we would tell free agents as why they should stay with our team. We are telling our football team to remember why they came here, remember the relationships they've developed here, how they feel about this football staff they play for, how they feel about the guy you play next to and most importantly, how you feel about this University. The ability to take this degree when you graduate, whether it's in the NFL or the business world, the medical field, being a teacher or whatever you want to do, this degree holds a lot of weight. I think there are a lot of things we can talk to our guys about as to why they should stay at Penn State and again, I believe that's what is going to happen.

Q: Has any player informed you that they are going to be leaving or transfer?
A: No.
Rest of the story

He was also on Mike and Mike this morning...interesting interview.