Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Community Centers > Smokin Tunes

Smokin Tunes A place for musicians and music lovers (that also smoke cigars!) to discuss their passion.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #1
magnus5
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

My latest purchase

I set my guitar down 10-12 years ago due to arthritis in my hands ruining my skills. I sold all of it and regretted it only days later. but never bought anything else. I had played for 20 years.

I missed it. I have been feeling the need to return to the guitar as it always gave me enjoyment, until the skills slid downhill. But, I have nothing to prove and no one to impress. I can play for myself now and enjoy it skills not ever being what they were before, but so what. I have been amazed at what I remembered, but can't always play, and surprised at how much I have forgotten too. But for the most part my fingers find their old haunts, just slower now than they did.

So I went out and got this

It's a Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition. It has a lot more green in it than those pics against a dumb blue background, kinda looks like the ocean. It has the set Gibson style neck and sustain for days. Plays beautifully. Much easier than my old Fenders. I even tried a couple of Fenders in the stores and found they just aren't for me anymore. And the sound is amazing. I played it and Gibson and found no real difference in playability or sound. It is not as good as the Gibson, not as heavy and not a thick a slab of the maple top, and won't increase in value like the Gibson, but for me it was good enough to say I'm not spending more to have the Gibson.

One thing there is no shortage of in this town is music equipment, per person maybe more than any city in the US. Especially Gibson stuff.

Last edited by magnus5; 12-19-2008 at 08:53 PM.
magnus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Have fun, Coley!!

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:54 PM   #3
bsslack
Herf Meister

That's a sweet looking Guitar!

I finally received my first Guitar today!

It's a Dean EVO a beginners model, but I'd really excited about it.

How many did You look at before deciding?

Really Cool finish on that one.

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
casual
Club Member

Nice. I havent seen a blue Les Paul before now.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
magnus5
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
Nice. I havent seen a blue Les Paul before now.

Like I say, the pics don't do justice as it has a whole lot of green in it especially in the center section of the guitar. But this and all blueish and greenish guitars are rare from them. This color and the other in its series were each made for one year. There was also a beautiful quilt red, an amazing black and a solver and a couple of others.

I am fortunate to have several friends who work for Gibson. As soon as I decided to get back in I called one of them to decide what they had sitting around the house or recommended. One of them had this and was willing to part with it and I took him up on it. I might buy something else down the road if I really like this and enjoy playing again as much as I have been.

I played it next to the old Les Paul Custom he had. This one is lighter with a slightly thinner maple top and the pickups are not as good as his old Paul, but they are better than many I have heard.

When I say I sold out 10 years ago, I mean I sold out. I had 10 guitars at least, including 4 strats the newest being a mid seventies model, Gibson Birdland and old Gretsch, a 40's model Kay hollow body electric, etc. I had old amps, Ampegs, Fender Twin Reverbs, a Peavey Butcher and several others and an array of effects. I sold it all down to the cords and slings.

So now it kinda sucks to start over and think of everything you need and know damn I had all that right here already. Oh well, that is my luck.

Last edited by magnus5; 12-20-2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
magnus5
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsslack View Post
That's a sweet looking Guitar!

I finally received my first Guitar today!

It's a Dean EVO a beginners model, but I'd really excited about it.

How many did You look at before deciding?

Really Cool finish on that one.

Cheers!

slack
Brian

I actually looked at very few guitars, or a lot but only a few seriously and for a very short period of time. I spent a day with an old friend who is a Nashville studio musician traversing the city at music shops and pawn shops and by the end of that day I knew what I wanted in a guitar. I am still working on the amp part, that will come this week.

But, I knew what it what was I wanted I just had to find it and at a good price. I ended getting a better deal than I thought I would, so I am satisfied.

Last edited by magnus5; 12-20-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
bsslack
Herf Meister

Cool,

Out for 10 years? That's gotta be hard on the fingers. both of my hands Hurt! Left from chord practice and right from string reps.

I bought a starter Guitar, but a better Amp that I can grow into.
A Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt Modeling unit. I'm still finding out what this baby can do, it is simply amazing. 11 Classic Amp models and an impressive 11 Stomp Box features. On top of that another 11 Effects and all of those can be Clean or dirty at the push of a single button. Plus a 12" Blue Marvel speaker, built in tuner, programmable profiles and the other expected features of a new amp.

All for a measly $200 bucks, Wow!

I visited Nashville last Year, I loved walking Downtown. Finally got to Tubb's.

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:18 PM   #8
magnus5
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsslack View Post
Cool,

Out for 10 years? That's gotta be hard on the fingers. both of my hands Hurt! Left from chord practice and right from string reps.

I bought a starter Guitar, but a better Amp that I can grow into.
A Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt Modeling unit. I'm still finding out what this baby can do, it is simply amazing. 11 Classic Amp models and an impressive 11 Stomp Box features. On top of that another 11 Effects and all of those can be Clean or dirty at the push of a single button. Plus a 12" Blue Marvel speaker, built in tuner, programmable profiles and the other expected features of a new amp.

All for a measly $200 bucks, Wow!

I visited Nashville last Year, I loved walking Downtown. Finally got to Tubb's.

Cheers!

slack
On of my surprises is that my fingers do not hurt in that respect at all. The arthritis hurts, which came from breaking my fingers all, multiple times racing motorcycles as a kid, but the finger tips don't hurt. Even after all that time I still had some decent callouses.

I'm sorry I didn't know you were coming. Ernest Tubb, Jr. is a friend of mine going wayyyy back. We'd of met you down there and he could tell you some stories. They sold the record shop several years ago now.

It's a great place to live if you are into music. I worked in HS at a guitar shop downtown called Hughleys. It was near Gruhn's. In the summer I worked there and at a golf course for the first couple of yrs of college, plus Hughleys in HS. It was amazing the people that came in there.

You are off to a good start. I will go back to my roots I'm sure. I will buy a tube amp, not too big or too small. Probably won't have any effects than reverb, I'll buy a couple of pedals. But, in my heart I am a traditionalist.

I was always big into listening to heavy metal in HS. But, I almost always played old style blues and jazz and some more modern stuff, modern playing for me was Hendrix. That was as new as I got. By 15 I was playing at the clubs downtown in an area called Printer's Alley. It was an education for a kid and I loved it. I kept it to myself, the only one who ever knew I was playing there was my dad. I never even told my friends. It was a special place back then. It changed sometime in the early 90's, after I was done with college and moved to DC, to a place kind of unrecognizable to me.

like i said, I don't want to be able to play like I did before. I can't do a lot of things like I used to either, football and lifting weights two examples, but I always had a true affinity for the music. I was never a good painter or drawer or artist in that respect, but everyone nbeeds an outlet, for me it was music, photography (another good hobby for a music city kid) and writing.

Hey the You Tube lessons idea from Mannish I think is a great one. Once you get some of the basics down go on there and get some lessons especially some that teahc you a song. Nothing keeps you going like learning a song.

Last edited by magnus5; 12-20-2008 at 06:20 PM.