Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2003, 12:15 PM   #1
SmokeAndSpice
Club Member

A Couple Lars Tetens

About a year ago there was a discussion about Lars Tetens cigars. I chimed in with something or other, but said I'd never had any of the Lars line. A few days later a package showed up from Henry with an assortment of Lars cigars. Frankly, the aroma alone turned me off, smelling like bad incense or air freshener. So I put them in somewhat humidity-controlled place for awhile,working up the nerve to try them.

Yesterday i worked up the courage and picked a couple more or less at random: a 24a69.com High Life Joker and a Tesshu Mamacita. (OK, I picked the Mamacita because there's a nude photo of Tesshu on the package insert and she's got a hot bod. )

The High Life Joker is listed as 5x54-46 in size (but the foot seemed bigger) with a shape like a cone.,The roll was very loose. The pre-light smell was bad incense and floral air freshener. It sparked up easily despite the huge foot. The resistance to the draw was almost non-existent. The flavor was unexpectedly mild after pre-light aroma-- some of the incense flavor but mostly an extremely mild sawdust flavor, with no tobacco kick to it. it gave me no pleasure so I gave up on it after a fast-burning inch and a half.

The Mamacita is a 6-1/2"x44 parejo with nice though tight-seeming construction. Pre-light aroma is a not-unpleasant light sandalwood. It took to the match easily. The draw was really tight, so much so that it was hard to draw smoke through it. What little did come through was so mild as to be nearly flavorless-- a light woodiness with a whiff of sweetness. Nearly faint from oxygen deprivation due to the effort of the draw, I put it down after a meager inch.

The bottom line is that while the flavor for either of these cigars was not as bad as the aroma promised, they had very little appeal to me-- they just don't give me what I want and expect from a fine cigar. But at least now I can say I gave 'em a shot, and I thank henry for giving me the opportunity.
SmokeAndSpice is offline   Reply With Quote