Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Rights in America

Cigar Rights in America Discussion of smokers' rights in all 50 states.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:59 AM   #1
dz130
Herf Meister

South Dakota Can Receive Mail Order Cigars

I never knew that mail order restrictions existed on cigars.

https://halfwheel.com/mail-order-shi...t-year/390997/

Mail Order Shipments of Cigars to South Dakota Will Be Allowed Next Year

Next year, the residents of South Dakota will once again be able to purchase cigars from online and catalog retailers and have them shipped into the state.

Yesterday, Gov. Kristi Noem signed H.B. 1098 into law, which will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2022. The bill allows for cigar retailers to ship cigars to consumers in the state—something that is currently not legal—with a few provisions.

Retailers will be required to perform age verification—either by asking for a copy of the buyer’s identification card or via an age verification service—to ensure that the buyer is at least 21-years-old. Furthermore, the package that the cigars are shipped in must state that the package will require a signature of someone at 21-years-old and the shipping company must obtain said signature.

The cigar retailer and shipping company are both subject to fines of $1,000 for the first violation and $2,000 for a subsequent violation.
In addition, cigar companies will be required to remit the state’s tax of 4.5 percent of the wholeslae price for all purchases.

Charlie Minato

I am an editor and co-founder of halfwheel.com/Rueda Media, LLC. I previously co-founded and published TheCigarFeed, one of the two predecessors of halfwheel. I handle the editing of our written content, the majority of the technical aspects of the site and work with the rest of our staff on content management, business development and more. I’ve lived in most corners of the country and now entering my second stint in Dallas, Texas. I enjoy boxing, headphones, the Le Mans 24-hour, wearing sweatshirts year-round and gyros. echte liebe.
Related Posts

Finally out of the sandbox.

If I say Corona, I ain't talking beer.

RIP Ed Toner
dz130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:18 AM   #2
TommyBB
Editor-in-Chief
Herf God

Interesting, thank you, Doug.
I find it thus because the first paragraph uses the term "once again." My curiosity is piqued by this. Governor Noem has been one of the level-headed governors for this past year. She refused to be swept into the power vacuum that has consumed other governors.

Did she ban the delivery of cigars due to the 'Rona, which would seem unlikely? Or has this law been on the books for years? Either way, good for them, but I don't like sharing my driver's license. In fact, it is illegal to copy a driver's license on a photocopier. I passed on a deal last year at Serious Cigar when they wanted a scan of my driver's license.

+In Memory of E.Guevara(Cubano67)W.Orlando(Shadow) A.Morris (Knife) D.Odom (dodom) D.Revermann (dgr) S.Bouchard (sb1396) M.Cole (Matt76) S.Faccenda (TOJE) R.Smith(IBMer) V.Vandermeer (van55)M.Davis(boxdoctor)S.Singer(bassman)K.Doetze l (drillrk1)D.Hart(garme1962)J.Coleman(John C 81)T.Gossett(Dartplayer1)J.Bolt (jb)E.J.Ferralles(CaballoPinto)M.Cataldo(FVFanMC)K Payne(SanchoPanza)F.Seltzer(Mowee)+LB+Connor Olson+Micah Kercheval+Maggie Bonefas+Karen

TommyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:14 AM   #3
BigO
Publisher/Owner
El Chefé
BBQ Guru
Herf God

There has to be something that keeps people living there.

Free speech is free speech is free speech. There is no qualifier.

If you aren't outraged, you aren't paying attention.

Never attribute malice to that what can be explained as stupidity.

Unborn lives matter too.

BigO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 05:17 AM   #4
jeepdad
Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigO View Post
There has to be something that keeps people living there.
Haa! Well played, Sir.
jeepdad is offline   Reply With Quote