Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
xrundog
Contributing Editor
Herf Meister

Chateau Fuente King En Tubo

When I was in the Navy, we liked to use the phrase "Lead by example". Therefore I will open with a review for #ChurchillJuly.

I checked my ready humidor for a suitable smoke. Apparently I had smoked all of the Churchills in there. The weather has been pretty good and I have been reaching for the big cigars. Nothing left but a lot of Toros and CGs. Good stuff for sure, but not appropriate to the task at hand. I popped the lid on my coolerdor to see what my deep supply of grab bags had to offer.
After a lingering glance, I saw a bag with some rather large tubos in it. There were several Arturo Fuentes and a Rocky Patel Decade. Like a sleek sports car the glossy black tubo of the Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente King caught my eye! I had to smoke it.

The tubo is a nice presentation. It has quality graphics with lots of various writings promising good things inside.
From what I was able to find, the wrapper is described as a shade grown Ecuadoran Rosado. Binder and fillers are of course Dominican.
Have you ever smoked a bad Fuente? I haven't. Sure, I've liked some better than others, but they always deliver a quality smoke.
I slid the cigar out of the tubo and it looked nice! The wrapper was a medium brown, smooth and oily. The size is, I believe, a traditional Churchill at 7" x a 48 ring gauge.
I removed the red ribbon foot protector and took a deep whiff of the foot and got a nice olfactory experience of toasty tobacco.
I clipped the cap with my Xikar cutter and tested the draw. Perfect! I headed outside with my various accoutrements.
I lit the foot with a match. The cigar caught fire readily and I was puffing away. The initial taste was pleasant if unremarkable. But I am absolutely okay with pleasant. There was lots of chewy smoke.
As I got further into the cigar the flavor deepened somewhat. It wasn't terribly complex, but it was richer, more satisfying.
The burn was straight and true, the ash was tight. With about 3 inches left it burned inside the wrapper and I hit it with a match. A minor inconvenience, it still tasted good. The cigar was firm all the way. Never hot or mushy. Quality construction for sure.
I imagine this to be a medium strength cigar. But after smoking 6 inches of it, I was sated. I felt like I had taken in my nicotine ration for the day.
We have read the term "fine cigar" many times. Was this a fine cigar? Yeah, in my opinion it was. Good pleasant flavor, superior construction, satisfying in every way. I liked it quite a lot.
My rating: a solid 4.5 of 5.
xrundog is offline   Reply With Quote