Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
jefslat
CW WarCraft God
CW Special Correspondent
Editor at Large
Predominant CW Ambassador
Herf God

Nick Mellilo Charter Oak Maduro

If the name Nick Mellilo sounds familiar, you may have heard of him as Nick-R-Agua, former blener for Drew Estates. He now has his own company, Foundation Cigars, maker of not only the Charter Oak, but also the El Gueguenese (natural and maduro) and the Highclere Castle, made for the estate where the he show Downtown Abbey is filmed.

This cigar debuted at the 2016 IPCPR as a natural wrapper and the maduro wrapper was introduced in 2017. The wrapper is mostly smooth with one prominent vein from about one inch in to the ring. The wrapper and foot have a pleasant aroma that is mostly tobacco with some mystery flavors. The draw is perfect. Tonight’s beverage is a Daschutes Black Butte Porter.

The closed foot light quite easily and gives very pleasant tobacco flavors. There are some nice mellow gingerbread notes, and there is almost no pepper in the retrohale. The very mellow porter is nearly a perfect match for the cigar.

I have heard some very good things about the Charter Oak, and so far all of them have been right. It is smoking very slowly and smooth, with a very solid white ash and a perfect burn. The flavors are not just the mellow tobacco but also blend in some sweetness and cinnamon. There is also a mellow flavor that I have yet to indentify.

I think I am tasting vanilla in the blend. The complexity of this cigar is outstanding. This is not your typical maduro, blending a virtual cornucopia of flavors with every puff.

One third in this cigar is exceeding expectations. The almost indescribable complexity is most pleasing. It is almost like smoking a meal with the blend of flavors melding so perfectly together. My wife sampled it and was very impressed with the flavors.

During the second third a sweetness emerged further adding to the enjoyment of the cigar. The strength began to build toward the end of the second third, but not unpleasantly so. A quick purge and it was back to the excellent flavors. The pepper in the retrohale remained muted and did not affect the overall flavors.

This is definitely a medium bodied smoke in spite of the maduro wrapper. Approaching the final inch the smoke remains cool and pleasant.

This is one of the better cigars I have smoked from the IPCPR. Well-balanced and an overall pleasure to smoke. 9.75/10, Joe Bob says check it out.

El perro, el perro, es mi corazon.
El gato, el gato, el gato no es bueno.
El Jefe es cantante,
El Jefe es muy famoso
El Jefe es el hombre con el queso del diablo.

El perro, el perro, nunca sin raison
El gato, el gato, el gato es obseno
El Jefe es caliente, El Jefe es carinoso
El Jefe le da besos mejor que su esposo

What Would TOJE Do? Þ £
jefslat is offline   Reply With Quote