Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #1
Briandg
CW Squirrel Wrangler
Herf God

Review for Cigar weekly, Hoyo de Monterrey, Estelo anniversary edition vintage, ems double corona

It escapes me at the moment how old these are, it seems that they were 2011. Let's agree that they are over ten years old. I had a long trip to make today, and decided that it was fine enough to have a Churchill. I punched it with a .308 caliber cigar punch, and drawing prelight gave me a wonderful taste of fine tobacco, something I don't always get prelight. the draw was good, just short of firm.

I lit up. and about eight miles down the road I had reached an inch. That first inch or so was mild and tasty, with great smooth flavors reminiscent of lightly creamed coffee, without the earthy, leathery flavors usually found with Villazon, especially in the maduro wrappers. the binder IIRC would have been a Connecticut broadleaf, Ecuador Sumatra wrapper, and Dominican, Honduran, and maybe a bit of Nicaraguan leaf.

The construction must be absolutely terrific, as the draw was perfect from the start, and it burned razor sharp and flat on the foot. I didn't purge until at least the two inch mark. it was surprising how quickly it smoked down, ordinarily they last much longer, but this reached the final two inches at about 45 minutes, where the wrapper split. One of the most notable things to it, especially to me, was that the thing was beautifully rolled, with a smooth, consistent, vein free, and perfect caramel/chocolate color. Bundle and cigar cello were both deep amber. A visually pleasing cigar is very important to me, and just everything about it was nice.
Briandg is offline   Reply With Quote