Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2014, 03:03 PM   #1
spiridon
Herf God

Ave Maria Reconquista

Okay, call me a "sucker" for hype on this one!
I had been reading good press on this cigar and had recently tried the Knights of Templar from the same line and thoroughly enjoyed it........sooooooo I took the plunge and splurged on a "box" (of 3) of these.
This cigar is supposedly the "flagship" in the Ave Maria line, which is blended by A.J. Fernandez. It comes in one size only, 7x54 torpedo.
First off, the presentation of these cigars is 1st class. In this case I received 3 cigars, each encased in it's own wooden "coffin", which in turn is enclosed in a lager wooden box. The coffins are packed/surrounded by a bed of dried tobacco leaves.
This cigar is classified as full bodied, Super premium. I will agree that the price on these is premium indeed (IMO)......$49 for this box of 3. Of course with me paying this much (cheap bastid that I am!) my hopes were HIGH!!
Soooooo, on to the cigar itself! The wrapper is a dark Brazillian Habano Oscuro...a nice oily appearance with a couple of large veins running the length of the cigar. I also noticed that this wrapper was pretty toothy. Overall an attractive cigar IMO. The filler is Nicaraguan. The next thing I noticed was the deep aroma of this cigar wrapper, I couldn't quite put my finger on it at first, but I came to the conclusion it reminded me of fresh baked bread.
Lighting this sucker up. I was welcomed with a lush amount of smoke, and easy draw, and a nice hit of spice right off the bat.......I was liking this!
As I smoked it down to about the first third I found the spice dying down a bit, but remaining in the background, while a more cedary taste came into play. So far I am liking the flavor profile. As I approached the halfway point it took another turn in flavor and shifted to a distinct taste of espresso. In fact at this point I would actually compare the flavor to those chocolate covered espresso beans that I like to chew on. The spice was still in the background. This espresso train lasted until about the last third of the cigar, which from there turned toward a more straightforward tobacco flavor with the spice coming thru a little stronger once again.......picking up strength as it went.
Along the way, throughout this cigar, there were a few minor burn issues, but nothing major.....nothing a quick touch up could not correct. The ash on this was a little flaky and had a tendency to "mushroom" a bit, but again, not a major issue. All in all, a very enjoyable cigar.
Wrapping it up, I would call this a med strength+ , full flavor cigar, with a good bit of complexity. I'm glad I tried this. Will I buy more? Not at the going retail price. If I could find them on sale, I'd definitely order more. While I did enjoy the presentation of these cigars, I for one would much rather see them do away with the fancy packaging, and offer these cigars at a more reasonable price.......but my impressions of just the cigar itself....I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars.