Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

Fuente Fuente Opus X Lost City New Perfecto Review

Well, here we are with another Fuente Product. This is also a First Time smoke and review. The Fuentes seem to polarize folks, but I Love them and that's what matters most to me. I honestly review each cigar smoked as it happens, good or bad....every single time. So, I don't promise results either way, only an open mind to the experience. But, The optimist in me, is Always looking forward to a new untried (by me) Opus-X.

CIGAR: Fuente Fuente Opus X Forbidden X Lost City New Perfecto. This size came in the Big Daddy Humidor. (corr)

SIZE: As the name states it is a 6 5/8th X 48 Perfecto.

APPEARENCE: It is a good looking cigar. The dark Rosado Wrapper and the dark Forbidden X bands blend well. Without the red highlights in the band it would be hard to pick out. This unit boasts an even coloration from Head to tapered foot. The Perfecto shape always hearkens back to yesteryear, for me.

CONSTRUCTION: This size is appealing, not too big and not too small. The Wrapper looks solid and uniform. Light veining is visible along it's length. The Triple Cap Head is expertly done. The perfecto Foot is slightly rumpled, as if it had been dropped on it's foot. The press and fill is uniform and relatively smooth, with no soft spots detected.

PAIRING: Today's choice is the perennial Myer's Dark Rum and a splash of Cola.

PRE-LIGHT: As I handle the cigar is seems well weighted and balanced. The Textbook Fuente Nutmeg Aroma is prevalent on the nose. A thin clip on the Head reveals a snug draw and a lightly spicy taste.

SACRIFICE BY FIRE: The torch brings a glow from the foot and a lovely opening taste of all wrapper Spice. It's way too tight to keep lit, so I clip again, with slightly better results. Now that She's properly lit, we can continue. Flavors now are fairly mild with the wrapper doing most of the talking. Once we hit full diameter that should change. Almost there, but already the Pepper Spice is hitting the back of my throat. As we hit the 3/4 inch mark and full diameter, the flavors build across the board, More of everything, including a very Clean Tobacco taste. There is also an interesting light Herbal note, that I do not normally associate with Opus in the mix. The Draw has still not opened up much. The Pepper element that is normally so prevalent is almost muted so far. The burn is razor sharp and the light Pepper on the Finish is there, but so far it's pretty docile for an Opus X. The first Band, the Lost City, comes off cleanly.
I make a rare third cut after the first inch. Ahhh, there we go. Draw is Hugely improved and the Flavors come up as well. There are now more of the Savory notes coming forward and Bingo-Bango-Bongo! There is Mr. Pepper, come to join the Party! I'm using a new kind of cutter, a one sided guillotine and it works well on some and less well on others. Now that we have well and truly started, it's 180 degrees from the first inch. (Whew!) The burn continues spot on and Flavor continues to build. Nice Earthy Peat, with just a touch of sweetness and that Spicy White Pepper that we know and Love. What a turnaround all from a simple extra clip. Ash is bright white inside and out, it is showing rings like a tree and holds on for just a bit before tumbling off. At 1.5 inches everything is perking along swimmingly. I remove the large Band, also with no Wrapper damage.
While not as In Your Face as some Opi are, this is a very flavorful and well mannered cigar. The Spices have my mouth watering and the Peppery Finish is medium in duration and clean. One would never mistake this for a Fuente Hemingway, The Rosado Wrapper has such a nice coloration and the Flavor profile is nice and Spicy, but not overly so. The Opus Chili Pepper, for example, was crazy on the Pepper. This Cigar is Flavorful, yet a very Balanced cigar. This size was not one of the original Lost City sizes. It is one of the newest and so far the most even tempered and balanced one, of all the sizes, that I have tried. At the five inch mark, I get a Warm Sweet Bread taste and aroma, with the pepper dropping down just a touch. That Sweet Roasted Nutmeg is now also on the Finish, with a more cinnamon spice than pepper. This one does not knock your socks off with Power, but is delivering a much more Complex experience. I am thoroughly enjoying this cigar, so far.

You are just going to have to believe me when I say.....I am now smoking Fresh Baked Sugar Cookies! Amazing! The aroma in this room smells like I am baking Cookies! Cinnamon all over the place, Front, Middle and Back, I have had "Hints" of this and "Aroma" of that before, but this is completely surprising. The nutmeg sweetness is incredible. OK, Bear with me for a second, I am in awe of how Jazznut describes His Scotches and Cigars. His exacting use and mastery of the English Language is inspiring. I'ma gonna borrow one of His words for this cigar.

This Cigar is REDOLENT with a myriad of complex flavors.

The good news is, I still have four inches to go! ( wait, is it just me or did that sound like the punchline from a "I once knew a girl from Nantucket" limerick? )

Anyway, I am Loving this exceptional Lost City New Perfecto Cigar! This is a completely different experience than ANY Opus X cigar, that I have Ever had. For the record, I've smoked more than a few of them. I've had Opi that produced a Bit of this and a bit of that, but never such strong and clear tastes and Aromas. It's burning cool and straight, no oil build up, zero harshness, with several nice transitions, but beyond That it's producing the most Incredible Flavors. Now at the 3.5 inch mark and it has again changed, to a more sedate but still sweet profile. My mouth continues to water and the roof of my mouth is now tingling. The sweetness of the cigar is bringing out the sweetness of the Rum also. The aroma in the room still has that wonderful roasted nutmeg note to it. The White Pepper also returns to the back of my throat and the finish. That was so crazy. It's like I stopped and ate a warm cookie! Now the profile is back around where it was at 5 inches, How did They DO THAT? At the 2.5 inch mark all is smooth and tasty. The burn has never been a problem and other than the two shallow clips to start this all off, the draw has been great. After all the years that I've been smoking, I figured that I had experienced all that Fuente had to offer......I wuz rong!
Lets see I've used amazing, incredible, exceptional, crazy, Redolent , wonderful, complex, great, surprising, I'ma quit counting the adjectives.
At near the two inch mark the draw became tight, so I clipped and purged and kept on smokin. Towards the end it has evened out more and back to a Clean Tobacco and white pepper profile. Still not a single harsh or sour note to be had. As I retire it to the tray, I have one inelegant response....WOW!

FINAL THOUGHTS: What a Fantastic Cigar. I expect a great cigar at this price point, add that it's an Opus X, I expect even more. Do I always get it? No, But this one was Off the Charts! I gotta thank the Party responsible for this and many other excellent cigars lately. BobbyStBob! Thank You again, My Friend!

It's only February and I haven't even started my Top 5 list yet.... I guess I just did.

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody

Last edited by bsslack; 02-28-2011 at 03:35 PM. Reason: originus erronus ignoraymus
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote