Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
bsslack
Herf Meister

La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor -Valentino Review

This will be the second one of these cigars that I have had. It will be interesting to see how it compares to the first one.

Let's begin.

CIGAR: La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor -Magnifico (corrected)

SIZE: Listing is 6 x 52 this unit is shy on length and with the extreme Box Press, ring gauge is at best, a guess. So, regardless it's a fat Toro.

PRICE: This is a spin off of the La Aroma De Cuba line, which itself has had a recent reformulation. This is out of the Ashton house. Accordingly the pricing reflects that. A singles price between $6 and $8 dollars and Box prices around $180 for 25, online. Here in California they are $10 to $12 ea.

APPEARANCE: These are most attractive cigars. The Wrapper is dark and luscious. A uniform milk chocolate Wrapper greets the eyes. The two Bands certainly stand off the cigar. While the LADC Band is huge and gaudy affair the smaller and far simpler Mi Amor band is a nice accent.

CONSTRUCTION: This looks and feels like a Great cigar. Is has a rich looking Wrapper with velvety smooth seams and small veining. The Cap was so smooth I had to look twice to see the seams. This is reported to be a Mexican grown Habano Wrapper, with a Nicaraguan Blend inside. Honestly If You had handed me this cigar sans Bands I would have had zero problem believing it a Padron product. That is saying something.

PAIRING: We are well into the day already, so it's the old reliable Sailor Jerry and Pepsi, making the voyage with me.

PRE LIGHT: There is a great aroma (I know, I know) coming off the Wrapper of this Beauty. The first clip is too shallow, so I double dip right off the top. A medium firm draw greets me. But, also tasty smells of dark chocolate and earthy soil. When toasted the foot releases a wonderful mix of woods and loam.

IGNITION: The rectangular boxed foot is a lot to get going, but worth it when it does finally take. The first few puffs are of clear clean tobacco with a touch of fresh turned earth. I am a big fan of "Tobacco taste" many flavors can accent a good cigar. The further on I go in my personal Cigar Journey, the more I desire and appreciate a natural Tobacco taste. This cigar has that and more. The finish is now coming on and doing so nicely. One challenge for the Extreme Box Press (like this one and Padrons) is getting evenly up to temp. So far it's straight forward tobacco with an increasing finish that bespeaks of future flavor. Ahhh, there We go. At 3/4 of an inch in a new Cocoa element arrives in the front and the back, very nice. The bands were properly placed loose so their removal was simple and clean. I revisit my thought of before. Without the Bands this cigar is a dead ringer for another Marca. I just love the fresh Tobacco flavor that this cigar gives off. Yes, the cocoa adds a nice wrinkle, but this is a quality product. After one inch the salt and pepper ash drops free. The Burn is not razor sharp, but not wobbly either. A 3/4" horizontal wrapper crack has appeared about 1/2 inch from the coaling point, but no swelling is observed. The Draw which began somewhat restricted has eased and is now just about perfect.
The first one of these cigars that I had exhibited more flavors than this one has so far. It was filled with Black Cherry and Dark Chocolate notes, in addition to the clean tobacco and earth. It always makes me wonder what was it that accounts for such differences, between cigars. Sometimes, You get completely different flavors all in the same box. Of course anyone whom has been to a cigar factory will tell You. Many different people roll the cigars and then a completely different person may apply the wrapper, then they are sorted by color. So You may have cigars rolled by 10 different people, or more, in a 25 count box. But, I've also had entire boxes that were near identical cigars, flavor wise.
The finish is now becoming long and spicy, I'm even getting a tingle on my lips. What a completely different experience with this cigar. The funny thing is I would buy this Profile and I would buy the first one too. But, which one I wonder is the one that Ashton wanted, Crazy. The ad copy lists this as a Medium smoke, but as this one progresses it's leaning towards the Full section. I'm definitely feeling it. The spiciness is on the increase while the finish is lingering longer and longer. I'm just under the 4" mark and I am thoroughly enjoying this cigar. Perfect manners, great flavors and a cool burn. I had read a few generic reviews, I guess I should qualify that. Generic reviews to me mean, the things that retailers say about a given cigar. You can gleen somethings from them. But, You cannot fully trust what someones says's when they are trying to get into Your wallet at the same time. I place far more value on a personal review. Most times one gets more objective observations from someone whom has nothing to gain, financially speaking. I am really enjoying this cigar. There's plenty of Flavor and variety, plus enough transitions to keep it interesting. These are made at the Don Pepin facility in Nicaragua. I think that accounts for the potency and abundant flavor. I'll have to add this to my "More research needed" list.
Well, she burned straight and true to the finish and left me wishing it had been a longer cigar, that's a good sign.

FINAL THOUGHTS: While I was surprised by the peppery profile, compared to the previously smoked Mi Amor, this one did not disappoint. I think that Ashton has a winner in either guise. Research and testing can be a chore, but in regard to the Mi Amor, methinks it will be a Labor of Love.

Cheers!

slack

Do not Hold Your Heart's True Words, until they can only fall upon the saddened ears and broken hearts, already filled with the loudness of grief. -unk

...Quick to Judgement...Quick to Anger and Slow To Understand... -Rush (it was true then and it's still applies today.)

Remember EVERY American Soldier Past and Present.-You -Me -Everybody

Last edited by bsslack; 02-17-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Magnifico not Valentino as listed.
bsslack is offline   Reply With Quote