Go Back   Cigar Weekly Community Forums and Discussion Groups > Smoking Post > Cigar Reviews

Cigar Reviews This room is for organized blind reviews, individual reviews by CW Members and reviews entered into the database that the Editors feel are particularly well done.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
jgbutler
Herf Meister

Cuba Aliados Miami LE Toros Viejos

Cuba Aliados Miami Limited Edition Toros Viejos

To start let me say thanks to Frankie Santos for the sampler!

Size: 6" x 52 ring
Wrapper: Natural Habano (Origin Ecuadorian, Honduran, Nicaraguan, etc...unknown)
Binder: Unknown
Filler: Unknown
Strength: Medium (to me personally)

Appearance: First off, this is a very nice looking cigar with a impressive classy looking band, cedar wrapped from the band to the foot. After removing the cedar wrapping, a smooth dark medium brown wrapper is revealed with only the tiniest of veins which are really almost unnoticeable. It appeared to have very slight sheen to it.

Construction: The cigar had impeccable looking construction. Not extremely firm but had just a slight give to it when gentle pressure was applied, leading me to believe that the draw on this cigar would be just right. The cap cut smooth with my Palio. The bunch on this cigar looked and felt uniform from head to foot. The pre-light draw revealed that the draw was actually slighty loose with almost no resistance.

Pre-light: Woody, nutty and a very slight vegetal fragrance to the cigar. the pre-light draw revealed a cedar, roasted nut flavor with a discernable earthiness to it.

First 2"s Lighting this cigar my pre-light draw was confirmed to be a very loose draw and it was actually hard to get a good quick light on the cigar. The volume of smoke at the start of this cigar was rather light. Flavor was very mild with a sweet cedar/nutty profile still keeping the hint of a vegetal flavor that was quite enjoyable. The burn was perfect producing a very light gray firm solid ash. The ash held solid staying on the cigar through the early stage.

Second 2"s The draw was still slightly loose but was beginning to firm up some. The flavors and body of the cigar were gaining momentum the further into the cigar I got. It was still an extremely smooth cigar with the flavor being a woody cedar, faint coffee and still holding a nuttiness to it. The cigar was now producing large volumes of thick chewy smoke that left a very nice creamy, toasty, pistachio type aftertaste on the palate. The burn remained perfect with no touch ups required. Finally tapped the still firm holding light gray ash at the 2 1/2" mark.

Last 2"s The draw continued to get better the farther into the cigar I got. The burn stayed perfect to the end. Still producing massive volumes of thick chewy smoke that left a very pleasant aftertaste on the tongue. The cigar continued to be smooth to the point that I couldn't hang on to it any longer. It started to pick up a barely noticeable spiciness that helped to make the finish of this cigar quite pleasing. The cigar ended with an ever present earthiness to it accompanied by the continuing nutty toastiness and marked creaminess right down to the final draw. The aftertaste stayed with me for a good 20-30 minutes after extinguishing the cigar.

Conclusion: This is a very well constructed cigar. The flavor profile had ever so slight changes to it throughout the cigar but kept a pretty consistent woody/nutty/slight vegetal flavor to it from start to finish. It was also a very smooth cigar from start to finish with absolutely no harshness to it at any point. The cigar started out extremely mild to me. By the time the second 2"s of the cigar came around it had moved into what I would classify as a medium strength cigar. The last 2"s moved more towards a medium to full strength leaning more towards medium. Overall to my cigar tastes, which generally I like a full flavored and full strength cigar most of the time, I would call this cigar a medium strength cigar. Others might think of it as a medium to full strength cigar. Classy presentation, great looking cigar and an excellent tasting cigar. I'm not sure what the price point on these cigars will be, but I just hope that I will be able to afford to buy some when they hit the shelves because I most definitely would like to put some of these in my stash.